Angels and Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been doing a lot of reading on discus as I am planning on adding a few to my tank. On a couple websites I have seen angels as a compatible tank mate. The discus water parameters are a little more intensive but should be fine.

They are a popular combination because they need similar water, and both are slow moving semi aggressive cichlids.

Angelfish are not slow moving.

I've attempted discus and angels and it worked out ok for a while, but eventually got to the point where the angels were outcompeting the discus for food. It was a pair of angels and 5 discus in a 75 gallon tank. Fish were all adults. I wouldn't recommend it and I would not try it again in the future in my own tanks.

Unfortunately, many people try to keep them together only to lose the Discus ( the more expensive fish of course) due to their inability to fight the Angels for food. No matter what anyone who has kept them together says to the contrary, it's a bad match! In nature, these fish do not share the same waters. Discus prefer their water much more acidic. In fact, one of my former bosses was in the Amazon collecting Discus and he said that the water where they collected them was so acidic that it was devoid of insect life. His arm actually tingled when it was in the water. :eek:
With today's Angels, most of them are domesticated fish so they are a much more aggressive feeder than wild Discus are so again, a bad match. Your only chance would be possibly mixing some Wild Angels with tank bred and raised Discus that are established first in the tank and on an aggressive feeding pattern. Good luck with that :brows::nono:

I'd strongly suggest keeping these two species in different tanks. (y)

They go fine together in my experience. I've had no issues with my discus and angels.

They go fine together in my experience. I've had no issues with my discus and angels.

There's an old expression that goes " Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while." In my 40+ years of keeping, maintaining and selling fish, the Angelfish/Discus combination has had more failures than successes. I'm just sayin' ;) (It's your money :whistle:)

Back
Top Bottom