Another snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I was looking at my golden mystery snail today, and noticed that it is on the side of the tank and has not moved in about an hour if not more. Then, all of a sudden, it lost suction and just fell onto the gravel. I thought it died, but after a few minutes, it got back up and started strolling around. :crazyeyes: Crazy, I know. Anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks,

Hunter

Maybe it ate something nasty and needed a breather? lol, or it got tired? Sorry, but animals do crazy stuff. If it were me, and I finished one wall on the tank, I'd drop and start the second wall (quickest way down) :p

I have observed my snails dropping off the sides, "swirling" their shells around (no better way for me to explain it), and literally "flying" around under water. They will just suddenly float real fast somewhere, and then fall back down like a little parachute.

It's cool when they crawl on the surface of the water using surface tension. If I hadn't seen it myself, I'd say it couldn't be done...

It's cool when they crawl on the surface of the water using surface tension. If I hadn't seen it myself, I'd say it couldn't be done...

I have yet to see that. I've had this snail for over a week and it never goes above water.

They will go out of the water and onto the lid, they will hang out at the surface of the water (they have a "snorkel" to pump air in, as well as gills), they will fall off the sides to the bottom, they can go dormant for a couple days. They are crazy little creatures, and I wouldn't worry unless you pick it up and it smells bad. ;)

Back
Top Bottom