Any 'Common Pleco' experts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diana67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I have 6 years experience with them which still makes me a Newbie with a lot to learn. I have 4 common plecos, ranging in age from 3-6 years old and size from 9-14". I call them The Fab Four but their names are, Oscar, Bert, Ernie, and Grover, from oldest to youngest.

Anyway, I am wondering if they have a breeding season or something. Our tank is not set up for breeding, nor am I interested in breeding them. But I have noticed that about twice a year, they stay stuck on the wall, front left side of the tank and ignore food. I know they are not starving as the wafers are gone overnight. But mine are not as nocturnal as they are often described. Mine are generally active round the clock.

So, any idea why they just stay stuck to the front tank wall? They are lined up, day in, day out, everyday and this happens twice a year. Just really curious and can't find a thing about it online.

We are currently building a 250gal outdoor pond that they will transfer to but right now are in a 55 gal community aquarium. I know that's small for them but I've never had issues with aggression among them. And it's nearly impossible to sex them. If I had to guess, I'd say the oldest is a female and the other 3 are male. But I'm sure I'm wrong, lol.

I'm not an expert. Don't breed them. There is too many as is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yah.. I know, I didn't abide by the forumn guidelines.. can't help but think.. you're doing it wrong?? 4 common plecos in a 55?? Really?? That's like abusive.. it's a 12" tank yet they're 14"?? It literally can't make a full turn without full contact. Build that pond..

I don't have a 12" tank.
Two of them are rescues.

:thanks:

That term is irrelevant, true rescue is bettering somethings environment. 55 gal is 48x12x21tall.

Have you considered a plastic stock tank on your patio while you build your pond? They're relatively cheap at farm and garden stores, or I often see them on Craigslist here. They're typically 24" deep, so a 4' round tank would get you about 185 gallons. Your plecos would be happy in that while waiting for their new home. Good luck with your pond build. It can be frustrating, but the rewards are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom