Any one know what good tank mates for bettas are

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crewless

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a betta in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater i want something to make the tank a little more interesting

IMO, none. I think bettas are best kept alone, so they are the star of the show, and plus it is hard to judge the temperament of your betta. In a 5g, your only options would be a nerite snail or a 3-5 ghost shrimp, amano shrimp, etc. You cannot add any other fish in with your betta since it is only a 5g. Do watch your betta closely for signs of aggression, they have been known to eat shrimp and pick at snails if they are not the laid back type.

IMO, a 5g is not enough space for tankmates to go in there. Some bettas do fine in communities, some are too aggressive IMO, but I think more space is necessary for more fish.
Nerites or ghost shrimp were good suggestions. Some bettas are shrimp killers, but a bit of cover gives the shrimp places to hide. :)

I bit the bullit and i put my white betta in with my 10g tank and nothing happened hes swiming around and the other fish dont even bother him and he just finds a calm spot and sit there XD

Never mind that he started flairing up at a brown fishy so i quickly took him out!!!

It of course totally up to you and what you're comfortable with, but you try it again and see if he calms down. Personally, my bettas in communities never really flare at the other fish, but some people on here have said that they let it ride and just kept a careful eye on it and the betta calmed down again. Of course, you are the one who witnessed it all, so if you are not confortable with the situation, then I am sure betta will be fine by himself in the 5g. I still think nerite snails could be a fun option to add.:)

It of course totally up to you and what you're comfortable with, but you try it again and see if he calms down. Personally, my bettas in communities never really flare at the other fish, but some people on here have said that they let it ride and just kept a careful eye on it and the betta calmed down again. Of course, you are the one who witnessed it all, so if you are not confortable with the situation, then I am sure betta will be fine by himself in the 5g. I still think nerite snails could be a fun option to add.:)

I have tried a few ghost shrimp with my male and just would not leave them alone. "Hey, where's the cocktail sauce?!" Then I tried a guppy with my female, just to see if she could handle another fish, but she wouldn't quit chasing him. I guess I am just good at getting aggressive bettas. As said, a nerite would be a nice option. SM and HN1 have some very nice nerites: Zebra, Horned, and Batik or your LFS may have some.

I have tried a few ghost shrimp with my male and just would not leave them alone. "Hey, where's the cocktail sauce?!" Then I tried a guppy with my female, just to see if she could handle another fish, but she wouldn't quit chasing him. I guess I am just good at getting aggressive bettas. As said, a nerite would be a nice option. SM and HN1 have some very nice nerites: Zebra, Horned, and Batik or your LFS may have some.
Yeah, no experienced betta keeper that I know would say that all betta do will in communities. There is a lot of variability there IMO.
I have not heard many good stories about bettas and shrimp, but I have never tried it personally. Nerites seem to work because they do not come far out of their shells while moving around, so even if the betta tries to attack them, nothing happens and the betta often gets bored. Mystery snails come farther out of their shells, the the bettas are often tempted to nip their feelers. I recommend nerites all the way. I got horned nerites from severum momma and I love them. I have zebras too and the betta don't bother any of them. :)

Thank you for the advice how much are the snails?

I agree, go for a nerite. You'll only need one in a 5 gal. They are cheap, usually $2-3. You could throw a few ghost shrimp in there as well to see how they do, as long as you don't personally mind if they get eaten. You can usually pick up 3 for $1 so it's not a big investment to risk. ;)

Cory Catfish!! They will be the best of friends. My favorite are the gray and albino ones

TyTy98 said:
Cory Catfish!! They will be the best of friends. My favorite are the gray and albino ones

Yes corys are great! But im not sure if you saw, TyTy98, that its just a 5 gallon tank. :)

Im going to upgrade some time soon to a tank over 200+ ll have to make it my self but thats no problem XD im thinking i should get a heater for my 10g community tank then thell survive winter in my room iv seen it below 20 before lol btw thats 20 degreea :)

I dont even know where to go to get them
You could order them, but if that's all you are looking for is one nerite, the shipping costs probably wouldn't be worth it if you could possibly find one locally. Check your local shops, specify FW nerite since there are SW nerites as well, and if they don't have them, ask if they can order one for you. Most stores have them available to them even if it isn't something they stock in the store and would be happy to order for you. Even chain stores like Petco will usually do that for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom