Any pretty/colourful hardy starter fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what fish are you consiering for your tank?

All the fish listed below are supplied by my trusted aquatics centre which is great for Freshwater, Coldwater and Marine stuff but outstanding for Freshwater stuff.

Fish I'm getting:
2 Endler Livebearers
2 Sparkling Gourami
2 Otocinclus
3 Panda Corys

Fish that I like.I want to get some fish from this list:
Dwarf Gourami
Honey Gourami
Neon Dwarf (Praecox) Rainbowfish
Threadfin Rainbowfish
American Flagfish
Lyretail Panchanx
Two stripe Lyretail
Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
Many Banded Shelldweller
Ram Cichlid

Well that's my list please add to it and suggest some different fish :D

Thanks for your time.

The species I had in mind for my starter fish were either a pair of Endler Livebearers or Sparkling Gourami because they are bright and colourful and only grow to 1/1.5 inches so will be suitable for ten gallon tank. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore ideas for me. I would love to hear your opinions.

Thank you.

I was going to suggest the cories. You could try Rams. You couldn't put more than one pair in a 10 gallon but I think they would be alright. You should get a 20 gallon much more opportunity there.

Platys are good but you will have a million of them in a few months. If they are dull at the store, find another store.

I was going to suggest the cories. You could try Rams. You couldn't put more than one pair in a 10 gallon but I think they would be alright. You should get a 20 gallon much more opportunity there.

Platys are good but you will have a million of them in a few months. If they are dull at the store, find another store.

I saw a beautiful yellow and blue ram Cichlid that I fell in love with at the pet store may get one when tank is settled :)

OK to clarify just because the DG is 1.5 inches doesn't mean put two in a 10 due to aggression same with putting a betta in would with the dg's be a no no they will fight especially in such a small space

All the fish listed below are supplied by my trusted aquatics centre which is great for Freshwater, Coldwater and Marine stuff but outstanding for Freshwater stuff.

Fish I'm getting:
2 Endler Livebearers
2 Sparkling Gourami
2 Otocinclus
3 Panda Corys

Fish that I like.I want to get some fish from this list:
Dwarf Gourami
Honey Gourami
Neon Dwarf (Praecox) Rainbowfish
Threadfin Rainbowfish
American Flagfish
Lyretail Panchanx
Two stripe Lyretail
Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
Many Banded Shelldweller
Ram Cichlid

Well that's my list please add to it and suggest some different fish :D

Thanks for your time.

Nice list you have but problem being is some of those can not mix the Shellie and cockatoo the rams could go with most of your other fish on the list I would highly recommend researching each and every one of those fish for their requirements their habitats aggression tank size (most important part) and come back here to narrow the list down in less you plan to do different tanks with each

Nice list you have but problem being is some of those can not mix the Shellie and cockatoo the rams could go with most of your other fish on the list I would highly recommend researching each and every one of those fish for their requirements their habitats aggression tank size (most important part) and come back here to narrow the list down in less you plan to do different tanks with each

Okey I will narrow down the list and post it on this thread layer bro. Btw would two female sparkling gourami e better than two male? Cuz I thought males would be more territorial :)

I don't know. I've never kept sparkling gouramis or any gourami for that matter. You should read up on them or get some help from a person who has successfully raised them.

The species I had in mind for my starter fish were either a pair of Endler Livebearers or Sparkling Gourami because they are bright and colourful and only grow to 1/1.5 inches so will be suitable for ten gallon tank. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore ideas for me. I would love to hear your opinions.

Thank you.
i just started as-well i have a semi aggressive started with 5 tiger barbs a mix if abino/normal/and1green then i got 4 oddesa barbs the tiger barbs a very hardy and today i got a red fin shark

I saw some really pretty fish last week when I bought my eel. I think I will go tomorrow and buy some for the tank. I don't know the scientific name and I don't know the nickname either. Darn. The owner called it a ruby? shark. He said it might be a type of Barb. They grow to about 4". It was silver with two lateral lines, one red the other black. It had a split tail that was colored yellow at the tips. It's one of the prettiest fish I've ever seen.

i just started as-well i have a semi aggressive started with 5 tiger barbs a mix if abino/normal/and1green then i got 4 oddesa barbs the tiger barbs a very hardy and today i got a red fin shark

Sounds awesome I want a peaceful community So I can't have sharks even though I love the Bala and red tail

I saw some really pretty fish last week when I bought my eel. I think I will go tomorrow and buy some for the tank. I don't know the scientific name and I don't know the nickname either. Darn. The owner called it a ruby? shark. He said it might be a type of Barb. They grow to about 4". It was silver with two lateral lines, one red the other black. It had a split tail that was colored yellow at the tips. It's one of the prettiest fish I've ever seen.

They're called ruby barbs i think

Thanks for the quick reply Kristian

Denison Barb (Barbus denisonii)

I googled shark barb and got this. The picture looks just like it. It is supposed to be peaceful and easy to care for. I like that description. It should go well with my eel. They will be too big for him to eat.

Thanks for the quick reply Kristian

Denison Barb (Barbus denisonii)

I googled shark barb and got this. The picture looks just like it. It is supposed to be peaceful and easy to care for. I like that description. It should go well with my eel. They will be too big for him to eat.

I always find success if your aggressive fish are smaller than your peaceful fish

Back
Top Bottom