Any pretty/colourful hardy starter fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
The species I had in mind for my starter fish were either a pair of Endler Livebearers or Sparkling Gourami because they are bright and colourful and only grow to 1/1.5 inches so will be suitable for ten gallon tank. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore ideas for me. I would love to hear your opinions.

Thank you.

Sword tails. they come in a bunch of different colors.

Swordtails get 4-6 inches and need more swimming room 20g or larger, for a 10 gallon I would stick with smaller fish platys are a good pick if your not wanting those guppies are another good choice or skip the gourami and some cool nano fish like celestial pearl danios or chili rasboros, endler live bearers are good choice too

Swordtails get 4-6 inches and need more swimming room 20g or larger, for a 10 gallon I would stick with smaller fish platys are a good pick if your not wanting those guppies are another good choice or skip the gourami and some cool nano fish like celestial pearl danios or chili rasboros, endler live bearers are good choice too

I really want a variety in this tank I know I'm limited because of the tank size but I want to try and stick away from schooling fish. Because if I add a school I won't have room for anything else haha except corys :D

You can do a gourami nothing wrong with em just trying to help out with other choices since a 10g is limited on stock

You can do a gourami nothing wrong with em just trying to help out with other choices since a 10g is limited on stock

In eight months time I'm getting a 15 Gallon so I will move all my stock from my 10 Gallon to my 15 Gallon. Then fill my 10 Gallon with Tetras and Corys and the 15 Gallon will be the community tank. But for now I only have a 10 and that will be the community tank for 8 months

I'm at work so replies will be spaced out I would suggest lightly stocking for the duration of the 8 months is the tank already cycled and ready for fish

I'm at work so replies will be spaced out I would suggest lightly stocking for the duration of the 8 months is the tank already cycled and ready for fish

Ah cool. It's 20:45 (PM) in the UK. When u gonna be free to talk bro I could really use your advice. Thanks ,I was thinking just 2 Sparkling Gouramis and 2 Endler Livebearers for a few months :)

I would only do 1 gourami in a 10 that small of a space could end in disaster I would add more endler live bearers

Guppies(well in my experience,die easily).I had a fully cycled 10 gallon tank,1 year old,and none of my guppies survived in that time.20+ died..I suggest some tetras(no neons),because they are really hardy.After that I would reccomend a betta.

Guppies(well in my experience,die easily).I had a fully cycled 10 gallon tank,1 year old,and none of my guppies survived in that time.20+ died..I suggest some tetras(no neons),because they are really hardy.After that I would reccomend a betta.

Yes your right the various inbreeding in captivity have caused the gene pool two to be not very varied result in weakened immune systems and chemical tolerance for guppies :( poor things

Back
Top Bottom