Anybody else get confused?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperchaos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,
sometimes i find that whem im searching the awsomeness that is AA i get somewhat confused.

When people post threads about what they should stock theyre tank with i see suprising answers...

On many occassions i see people saying they have 20-30 gallon tanks and people are actually suggesting a full stocking level of 2-3 fish maybe more depending on potential size of fish.

Are people getting Gallons mixed up with litres? or is it just me?

Was just a thought...

On many occassions i see people saying they have 20-30 gallon tanks and people are actually suggesting a full stocking level of 2-3 fish maybe more depending on potential size of fish.

I don't follow..... 2-3 fish for a 20-30 gallon tank? If the species is a neon tetra, obviously, that's not correct, however, if it's a blood parrot cichlid, you've got problems.

You lost me brother. I can usually just tell the more experienced answers compared to the amateurs.

Hi everyone,
sometimes i find that whem im searching the awsomeness that is AA i get somewhat confused.

When people post threads about what they should stock theyre tank with i see suprising answers...

Are people getting Gallons mixed up with litres? or is it just me?

Was just a thought...

Depending on what fish you plan on stocking, 2-3 fish may be all you can stock in a 20gal.

Fancy Goldfish need 20gal for the first, 10gal for each additional due to their bio-load. Comets ... need a pond..

Fish like TigerBarbs are simply too energetic and need a school for a 20gal, but you can have 20 Neon Tetras in a 20gal ... they're small, not as active as TB's and have smaller Bio-Loads.

I think youv all hit the nail on the head. But as far as im concerned 2 angels and a yoyo loach isnt appropriatte stocking for a 20 gal? understandably angels get to around 6".
yoyo loaches around 3" :) .
The tank would look so empty -_-

It kinda sounds like you're talking about the inch per gallon rule... Most people on the forum have acknowledged the absurdity of that "rule of thumb."

Edit: Also, some people see heavily stocked tanks the same way they see blue gravel and treasure boxes.

I think youv all hit the nail on the head. But as far as im concerned 2 angels and a yoyo loach isnt appropriatte stocking for a 20 gal? understandably angels get to around 6".
yoyo loaches around 3" :) .
The tank would look so empty -_-

Personally, I think angels need a larger tank than 20 gallons.

If a tank is stocked appropriately, or with fish that are compatible with other species so a species-only tank is not required, there's no reason for a tank to look empty. So many people want big fish but only have a small tank. It just doesn't work.

Oh i acceppted its absurdity years ago , i work in a LFS and have done display tanks for staff rooms in schools, call centres and quite alot of custom work in customer homes.
Its equally as significant trying to explain to inexperienced fishkeepers that i work with when their tanks look empty.
Especially when they tick clown loaches on catalogues. And when discussing with them the potential growth of a clown loach, seeing their faces drop when you dont recommend it.

but they have to understand otherwise, why hire me?

Anyhow im digressing,

LyndaB said:
Personally, I think angels need a larger tank than 20 gallons.

If a tank is stocked appropriately, or with fish that are compatible with other species so a species-only tank is not required, there's no reason for a tank to look empty. So many people want big fish but only have a small tank. It just doesn't work.

I think your correct here 80 litres of water is innsufficient for angels , yet again more volume issues? hense this thread!!

It's really a matter of taste. Many people want it to look somewhat realistic with plants and a few fish that have plenty of room to swim without bumping into each other. That said, there are obviously some very nice looking tanks with tons of fish.

The other thing though is that information, especially in the aquaria forums it seems, snowballs. One minute people know that ammonia is bad, the next thing you know, people are going around saying that .5ppm ammonia will kill fish before they even find out what the pH in the tank is. So people realize that 1in./gal. is a bad rule, then they go on to start saying that betta are miserable in anything less than 10 gallons or some other nonsense.

LyndaB said:
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean..... volume issues?

Water displacement, flow and convection? how much water is in your tank?

I still don't get you..... and I'm not a dumb person. Your posts just confuse the heck out of me. What does water displacement have to do with which fish you're going to keep in your tank?

I have a convection oven, does that count?

Everything, where the most ammonia and heat flows. Thus affecting where fish will spend their time :) that affects decisions about stocking , through considering how much ammona is produced and where the fish would naturaly place themselves.
:)

I agree with roundar, and he has made some great points.

I wanted to add that generally, when people give stocking advice, it is on the conservative side. It's this way with most advice that is given to people, not just here but in all walks of life. The last thing you want is someone who received your advice to come to you and tell you what kind of disaster you led them into.

For example, you may drive over the speed limit every now and again, or every day. Going a few mph over the posted limit is a very common thing (here, anyhow), but would you recommend it to a driver that just got their license and is looking at you as a mentor?

Ill try to give it a shot. If someone says "I have a 10 gallon what should I put in it?" You tell them tetras and corys. Then they fill it with plants and rocks, there is alot less swimming room and there is really only 7 gallons of water in the tank. So the tetras wont have room to swim like they want or the corys to find food in the substrate like they want. I understand the idea BUT when someone asks about stocking you try to take everything into consideration not just the gallons ONLY.

Some great responses had to nip into work for tank maintenence for a couple of hours.

I love roundars response! Im being metaphorically confused about this subject and people have put up some great material. Fish theorem is cool :)

You see, why im asking is because,like i said i get confronted about stocking all day at work , its just what do you say is appropriate stocking levels?

im asking people to think about what makes sense to them!! :)

Back
Top Bottom