API General Cure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
Of the ten rainbows I received, two have died. I noticed today that one had white stringy poo coming out and figured he must have an internal parasite most likely caused by being shipped with a dead fish in the bag. Unfortunately, and I have no clue why I didn't think of this, but I do not have a spare tank to quarantine. The fish are all eating fine, swimming around happily, but I want to take care of this before any others die. Tomorrow I am going to petsmart and buying one of those 10 or 20 gallon kits and setting up the filter with some media from my canister and putting all the rainbows in there. I was planning on using API General cure on them all since I can't tell which one I specifically saw it on...but since they were all shipped in the same bag with the dead fish most likely more than one has it. If one or two fish do not have parasites, will the API General Cure harm them in any way or will it be fine to keep them with the rest just as a measure of caution?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Stringy white feces is a great indication of a digestive issue but it does not always mean internal parasites, what your actually seeing is the lining of the intestinal track. This irritation can be caused by stress, improper diet, low quality foods, and of course internal parasites. So the treatment is not a one size fits all I'm afraid.

As mentioned if its truly spironucleus vortens or other parasites then ingestion of any medication is by far the most effective treatment, this can be medicated flakes from Angels(my first choice) because they are soft and easily digested which the fish prefers over a harder pellet(even soaked still harder than flakes), pellets soaked in a 3% Epsom salt solution, or a water born treatment such as Clout if the fish is refusing foods.

I would not worry about medicated foods or other medications at this time if they're all eating, watch the feces and go from there in my opinion.

pellets soaked in a 3% Epsom salt solution, .

Do you soak them for long? The 3% method is great. I use a glass eye dropper enough to soak them but not saturated them so they dont leach out any of the vitamin, nutrition of the pellet.

Do you soak them for long? The 3% method is great. I use a glass eye dropper enough to soak them but not saturated them so they dont leach out any of the vitamin, nutrition of the pellet.

Just soak them for a minute or two or until they've absorbed the solution using distilled not tap or tank water. The time depends on which pellets as some are harder than others. I follow this for 14-21 days.

14+days is were they quarantine till ready. A mix of medicated food or 3% solution, salt, and heater. Hasn't failed yet.

Back
Top Bottom