Api Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a carton on API aquarium salt. Is this a good thing for cories, loaches, danios, plecos, and maybe labs? Also which kind of loach would you say? Clown, YoYo, Kuhli, or mix? Will these get together like they are all brothers and sisters of the same breed?:confused:

Why would you add salt, is there a illness or parasite your treating? If there's nothing wrong with fish the salt is pointless and best saved for the french fries.

Chances are the LFS sales clerk told them to add salt. My local Petco fish dudes are always selling it to the unsuspecting and worse yet, telling them to just dump it straight in rather than dissolving it first in cured/tank water.

The guy at Petsmart told us to use it too, he said it helps reduce stress and chance of illness. Since joining this site I have now learned better.

The guy at Petsmart told us to use it too, he said it helps reduce stress and chance of illness. Since joining this site I have now learned better.

The reason for this is that they know that there fish can and have potential issues such as Ick and other such fowl infestations. Most of there tanks are in a pump "network" the fish share the same water. Even the feeders.
They offer a 30 day return policy with a sample of your water so to keep returns down they want you to treat the fish right away.

Best just to quarantine a couple of weeks and if the coast seems clear then introduce them to there permanent wonderland of water.

I got a carton on API aquarium salt. Is this a good thing for cories, loaches, danios, plecos, and maybe labs? Also which kind of loach would you say? Clown, YoYo, Kuhli, or mix? Will these get together like they are all brothers and sisters of the same breed?:confused:

I Googled the 3 as you listed them and it seems it's been done before without any issues, the only notable point being made is that the clown's will be larger.

You could also go to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor , put in your system parameters and see what pops up. I don't hold so much to what they say but it is a good test to see what it recommends.

Back
Top Bottom