Aquarium frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think i want to get African Dwarf Frogs to complete my 10 gal. any one have some. if so please give me some info on them. TIA!!!!!!!

They need live worms or frozen foods. They can't live on pellets. I would not keep them with fish like goldfish...they will peck the frogs when searching for food at the bottom. They need places to hide & when feeding I place food in a plastic tube & place it on the bottom as they are kind of slow and fish will most likely eat all the food before they get a chance. Also I had a problem keeping them with very small substrate as they would sometimes swallow the rocks & puke it up a month later. I moved mine to a tank with bigger rocks. They are very fun to watch :p

Well I have a few of them and think they are really cool.
Did you know they even have albino ones?
Mine are not real active they just sort of hang out at the bottom of the tank except for a trip to the top for air every once in a while.
I feed mine mostly tubifex worms.

Is there any thing specific you want to know?
I'll see if I can help.

well i would like to know how big they get cause i want to get 1 or 2 and i already ahve 4 danios and 3 cories....and would they be ok with these guys?
i may jsut wait and get some for my 30gal but i need info. hmm how much bigger is a 40 gal then a 30 gal? lol jsut cause i might do that instead lmao
well thanks

Even as adults they are still pretty small.....they do better in shorter tanks which makes it easier for them to swim up to the surface.

I used to have one in with my betta. It stayed pretty small, only ever ate flake food, and it some how got ich or some sort of fungal infection on one of its arms, I treated it with something (don't remember what) and its arm fell off. ( I knew a LOT less then than I do now, believe me I am appalled at myself then) Any way, he lived for over a year with only one arm. He was really cool! (yes, we called him stumpy) :(

I have two of them in my ten gallon. They only eat pellets and flakes that fall to the bottom. They love the shrimp pellets. Just drop it in there so it hits the frog and they'll snap at it and it. Adult african dwarf frogs get 2 inches. The clawed ones are very predatory and it's unlikely for you to get one. and the albino ones get huge. I saw one in my lfs that was over 6 inches long (just the body).

African Dwarf frogs are awesome and they will pop up to the surface every now and then to get air.

Also don't keep them with shrimp. They will attack them and I've seen my frogs bite the heads off shrimp as they are moving by. :)

fsh said:
They need live worms or frozen foods. They can't live on pellets.

My six ADF's seem to prefer pellets over live foods. As long as the pellets have a good blend of protein in them, they should be fine.

fsh said:
I would not keep them with fish like goldfish...they will peck the frogs when searching for food at the bottom.

My six ADF's live in a tank with 5 large goldfish, and they do fine. My goldfish show no interest in the frogs and it is at a point where my frogs are perfectly comfortable swimming right next to the goldfish, even when the goldfish are feeding.

Keep in mind though that my goldfish are egg shaped fantails, which are more docile and much slower than common or comet goldfish.

fsh said:
They need places to hide & when feeding I place food in a plastic tube & place it on the bottom as they are kind of slow and fish will most likely eat all the food before they get a chance.

Bottom sinking food works pretty good. Tanks with lots of vegetation and ornaments helps with the frogs' feeding.

fsh said:
Also I had a problem keeping them with very small substrate as they would sometimes swallow the rocks & puke it up a month later.

I keep mine with Eco Complete which is a very fine substrate, I have never seen a problem with them eating it.

fsh said:
Even as adults they are still pretty small.....they do better in shorter tanks which makes it easier for them to swim up to the surface.

This is a myth. My hex tank is 2 feet deep and they do great. In their natural habitat, they live in water that can vary in depth up to several feet deep.

I have read and also observed that ADF's like to sit on the bottom of the tank in a group, preferably under some plants, so when adding them to a tank it's best to add at least three. ADF's stay very small and create little waste so this shouldn't be a problem.

If your frogs "prefer" pellets over live foods it is because they are used to it but if you read any articles about ADF'S they will say that you must feed adf's with live foods at least 3 times a week. Besides live foods are way more nutritious. I have actually seen frogs die of anorexia due to being fed only on flakes.

Anyways, what I have said about goldfish & fine substrate with frogs is all part of my experience. I didn't make it up. But hey if it works for you then continue!

I had 6 albino clawed frogs at one time....between 3"-6".....pellets and feeder fish....got huge....had to ducktape lid on tank because they would bounce right off of it. insane :twisted: :D

Back
Top Bottom