Aqueon water changer sucked up a fish I think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Did a pwc today using my aqueon water changer. I try to be very careful not to get near any fish with it, but apparently I did today as I am missing a guppy. I cannot find it anywhere. My sink is higher than where I keep my tank so I have to use a water hose outside to hook my aqueon up to to drain the water, then I hook it back up to my kitchen sink to regulate water temp and refill. Well, I looked everywhere the drain location and did not find it anywhere. I took my aqueon water changer apart and could not find it anywhere and I am unable to find him in the tank anywhere. Anyway, when I bought this thing I thought I read something about it having something built in that prevented it from sucking fish up through it, but apparently that is not the case.

Is there an after market gadget to add like a screen or something that attaches to prevent this from happening?

I actually cannibalized an old net and rubber banded it around the tube opening. Another user here said you could also use clean panty hose or stockings stretched out.

I actually cannibalized an old net and rubber banded it around the tube opening. Another user here said you could also use clean panty hose or stockings stretched out.

Ok, thanks. I figured there would be something built in to prevent that.

It's designed to suck debris out of your tank as well so it will not have anything built into it. If your tank bottom stays clean then a net would work. I empty my 65 gallon tank into a 5 gallon bucket and check it every time before dumping the water.

Back
Top Bottom