Are bathroom/kitchen cabinets strong enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 75gal on a bathroom style cabinet (the front bottom is recessed). In this tank I have about 10 gals of water and turtles, so weight is not too much of a concern. However, I will be turning this tank into a fish tank, and now I am concerned with the amount of weight 65+ gals of water will have with that front bottom recessed (see attached pic).

There is pretty much no chance that I am going to buy a new stand, so I will build a new one if the group here feels that the stand in question will not support the full tank weight (calc'ed: ~630lbs with 1" of sand substrate - however, I think that adding 10% weight just to be safe - so 700lbs).

TIA

I would be very very nervous putting that much weight on a countertop. The construction of those things is sketchy at best. They just aren't built for that much weight.

Agreed .... These cabinets will not support more that a couple hundred pounds .... when we put in a build in wall oven, the installer had to brace the cabinets. These euro-style cabinets has no support in the front and will collapse with any kind of weight on top.

I would build a new stand, or possibly brace the cabinet from the inside.

I think you could brace the existing cabinet. Make sure it has a strong back, front and cross members supporting the top surface. Might turn the existing front into a false front, and have a second structural upright above where that recessed foot is.

Thanks all for the help...as the wife says: "Yeah, apparently we will be building a stand...."

I love DIY projects!

hmm. well with 75g i would not.
i have a 30 on my main counter. and across on the other side i have 12.5 gallons on the toher side. no problems yet.

i know my bil had a 55g on his for a few months no problems.
and i had my 10g on a diaper change table at one point no problems. but still with the weight of 75 i would not.

If you do some digging someone posted some very good plans for a 75g tank with some replies as of a few weeks ago. Let me know if you can't find it, I've got it bookmarked on my home computer.

Yeah, that cabinet looks nice, but in no way was ever built with the intention of supporting 700lbs continuously.

This is great...I was planning on a DIY canopy, but then you have to make it somewhat match the look of the stand. Now I can do both and use the same materials...exact match!

From experience i can say dont even try it. You can stabalize it and that will work, add a lot of support, but as is theres no chance.

Went to HD to pick out the trim and stuff...looks like the stand is going to run us <$130 in wood (with oak paneling), hardware, stain, supplies, and oak trim! I am so going to post pics! Now i have to design the canopy...well, not tonight!

thanks again everyone, we really appreciate not having a swimming pool in our dining room!

MattAquaBio said:
LOL that would be awesome. I'd be willing to be theres also a few logistical difficulties with that :p
It would help if you had a slab home instead of one with a basement. Of course, unless you have a very open house design, you wouldn't have near enough viewing area to justify the tank. Maybe you could use just half the livingroom, and have your couch facing a huge portal.

When I was a kid, I sketched out a house that had a huge aquarium in place of the front picture window. A second floor room allowed service access...

[A second floor room allowed service access...]

Did someone say scuba?

EDIT:

ok, so I am a geek - my living room is ~12' x ~17', with 8' ceilings, so that is ~11,500 gallons! That means that a 30% PWC represents about 3,700 gallons. Seriously, how long would it take to do a 3,700 gallon PWC???? I think that I would need something a bit more substantial than my python for that!

Back
Top Bottom