Are my platys all female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lizzie0607

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm very new to this!

According to my local pet shop all 3 platys are female, however the largest platy is constantly chasing the two others and I'm not convinced that it isn't a male?

I have added a photo.
Thank you [emoji4]

1478251363998.jpg

The pics aren't very clear but the largest one might be a male. What you are looking for is the shape of the anal fin. That is the single fin on the bottom. If it is fan or triangular shaped, then it is a probably female. Else, it is male.
Google images for "gonopodium".
Hard to tell, but the other reddish orange one might be male as well.

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry I know the photos aren't great, it was very hard to take them as they wouldn't stay still! Have had a look on Google and it seems the only female is the more yellow one!

There is a ratio that works out best for live bearers. I can't recall what it is but surely someone will chime it with this.
Now you know. Not going to get on a soapbox about pet store employees, but the best thing you can do is research. I don't do impulse purchases. I do scout out potential new additions well in advance. Not always easy to do but it can prevent problems down the road.

Managed to get a better photo and I think this one is female too? The big red platy is definitely male though.

20161104_172742.jpg

Thought so. Not too bad then, better than two males pestering one female. I may get one more female then to meet the recommended ratio ? any excuse!

Back
Top Bottom