Are my tanks okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three tanks that have been stocked for about 6 months now... All cycled... Have had various fish in and out if these tanks... My question to you guys is:
Do you think each tank is comfortably stocked? I'll explain each tank and what is done weekly...

29g:

- 2 Dalmatian Molly Females ( 2" & 3")
- 1 Silver Lyretail Molly Female (3")
- 1 Black Molly Male (2")
- 1 Veiltail Betta Female (2.5")
- 1 Oto
- 3 Ghost Shrimp

I do a minimum of one weekly 50-75% PWC and gravel vacuum...sometimes two 50% PWC.
I feed Omega One Tropical Flakes every other day. Once a week frozen Bloodworms defrosted in tank water.

Everyone gets along well and the Betta doesn't bother the mollies, vice versa. Betta has been in the tank 3 mths.

20g L:

- 1 Gold Twin Bar Platy Female (1.5")
- 1 Red Mickey Mouse Platy Female (2")
- 1 Guppy Female (1.5")
- 1 Black Molly Female (2")
- 2 Twin Bar Platy Fry (1/4")

I do a 50% PWC 3-4 x's a week and gravel vacuum. (Only because I'm feeding more due to the fry and don't want parameters get out of hand, but fry are safe and happy in the tank with the adults. I don't want a separate tank for them right now.)--- Fry once grown more will be going in my 7 yr old sons first tank this summer.
I feed Omega One Tropical Flakes daily so fry are able to get it, and Once a week frozen Bloodworms defrosted in tank water.

Everyone gets along well and the fry feel safe... They even come up and swim with the adults.

10g:

- 1 Halfmoon Betta Male (1.5")

I do 1 50% PWC and gravel vacuum weekly.
He gets fed 3 Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets every other day. Once a week frozen 3-5 Bloodworms defrosted in tank water.
He's a VERY happy guy...loves the space and is swimming all over and has just begun interacting with me. He's been here a week.

All the tanks have steady Ph around 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 10. (except betta tank has been 5 nitrates).

I'm not getting any more fish... Only addition will be a Mystery Snail to my betta tank in the next month or so.
All my fry/Juvies are selling/given away quicker than they used to.
The Platies and guppy are pregnant... Mollies seem to have a little bump but nothing major yet in the last several months. My male Molly is a new addition to the tank as of 3 wks ago...

Any suggestions/comments are welcome :)

I have three tanks that have been stocked for about 6 months now... All cycled... Have had various fish in and out if these tanks... My question to you guys is:
Do you think each tank is comfortably stocked? I'll explain each tank and what is done weekly...

29g:

- 2 Dalmatian Molly Females ( 2" & 3")
- 1 Silver Lyretail Molly Female (3")
- 1 Black Molly Male (2")
- 1 Veiltail Betta Female (2.5")
- 1 Oto
- 3 Ghost Shrimp

I do a minimum of one weekly 50-75% PWC and gravel vacuum...sometimes two 50% PWC.
I feed Omega One Tropical Flakes every other day. Once a week frozen Bloodworms defrosted in tank water.

Everyone gets along well and the Betta doesn't bother the mollies, vice versa. Betta has been in the tank 3 mths.

20g L:

- 1 Gold Twin Bar Platy Female (1.5")
- 1 Red Mickey Mouse Platy Female (2")
- 1 Guppy Female (1.5")
- 1 Black Molly Female (2")
- 2 Twin Bar Platy Fry (1/4")

I do a 50% PWC 3-4 x's a week and gravel vacuum. (Only because I'm feeding more due to the fry and don't want parameters get out of hand, but fry are safe and happy in the tank with the adults. I don't want a separate tank for them right now.)--- Fry once grown more will be going in my 7 yr old sons first tank this summer.
I feed Omega One Tropical Flakes daily so fry are able to get it, and Once a week frozen Bloodworms defrosted in tank water.

Everyone gets along well and the fry feel safe... They even come up and swim with the adults.

10g:

- 1 Halfmoon Betta Male (1.5")

I do 1 50% PWC and gravel vacuum weekly.
He gets fed 3 Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets every other day. Once a week frozen 3-5 Bloodworms defrosted in tank water.
He's a VERY happy guy...loves the space and is swimming all over and has just begun interacting with me. He's been here a week.

All the tanks have steady Ph around 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 10. (except betta tank has been 5 nitrates).

I'm not getting any more fish... Only addition will be a Mystery Snail to my betta tank in the next month or so.
All my fry/Juvies are selling/given away quicker than they used to.
The Platies and guppy are pregnant... Mollies seem to have a little bump but nothing major yet in the last several months. My male Molly is a new addition to the tank as of 3 wks ago...

Any suggestions/comments are welcome :)
It sounds like to me you are doing well in your stocking, keep it up! :)

You could actually add more fish to your tanks, if you chose to.

My only concern with your current stocking is the lone oto. Otos are sociable and really need to kept in groups of at least 3. Can you buy him 2 friends?

phoenixkiller said:
It sounds like to me you are doing well in your stocking, keep it up! :)

Thank you... And to think 6 months go my first tank was a 10g that was filled with water, dechlorinator and filled with these guys within minutes:

- 3 Mollies
- 3 Male Guppies
- 2 Male Platies
- Chinese Algae Eater

We had illness, fights, deaths & rehoming!! :)
Beginners misinformed Pet store mishaps.

So, needless to say, I'm so very happy with the 3 tanks I have going today!

I have my extra 10g with all accessories in the closet for anything I might need it for :)

LyndaB said:
You could actually add more fish to your tanks, if you chose to.

My only concern with your current stocking is the lone oto. Otos are sociable and really need to kept in groups of at least 3. Can you buy him 2 friends?

Since she's doing so well it's restored my hopes of being able to keep Otos! ;-) you remember that frustration... Yes, I think it would be best to get two more. Delivery day is on Wednesday (today)! I'll go in tomorrow...

Since she's doing so well it's restored my hopes of being able to keep Otos! ;-) you remember that frustration... Yes, I think it would be best to get two more. Delivery day is on Wednesday (today)! I'll go in tomorrow...
I understand frustrations with otos... it's hard to find some hardy ones.

phoenixkiller said:
I understand frustrations with otos... it's hard to find some hardy ones.

With most being wild caught its always a risk, although I had one that survived a fish in cycle with huge spikes!!

But I realised my tank wasn't suitable an rehomed it :)

Back
Top Bottom