Are ny babies ready for the by tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had them in the breeder tank for at least over a month and I felt like they've been growing really slow. I think they're big enough. But I'm worried about feeding them and them getting any food. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-4250112392.jpg
    image-4250112392.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1155404516.jpg
    image-1155404516.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 156
I would do it just feed them a little more of the food and a little crushed :) mine eat from the bottom of the tank and have no problem getting food they are almost a month old :)

I have 2 ghost shrimp 2 cories and 2 loaches tho. Idk if they'll get any food. But do you think they're big enough not to get eaten?

I can't tell how big they are by looking at the photo, but I will say that I've seen my ghost shrimp grab molly fry right out of the water and eat them. If they can grab it, they will eat it.

I don't use a breeder net or a grow out tank. I just use lots of java moss and let the fry either survive or not. If they're smart enough and their instincts are honed, they do great. Plus, it's fascinating to watch the natural behavior of fry when they are left to their own defenses.

I wanted to do that at first. But none survived. And I didn't know ghost shrimp could do that. Maybe I should put them in there ad see if they're smart enough to survive...? Sounds kinda cruel tho

As long as you provide them java moss (or the like) to hide in, they will utilize their self-preservation instincts which are remarkable to observe. You end up with a stronger healthier bloodline by doing this. If you keep using a breeder net, in my opinion, you end up with a bunch of sissified mamma's boys.

Hmm I see I see. I have some little fake plants that are made for fry. Will those be good?

Attachments

• image-1430540671.jpg
    image-1430540671.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 109
No, those really don't provide enough cover. Even a fake floating plant would be better.

Hmm alright. Well I put one in and it got attacked right away but it got away then later tried swimming up and it attacked by about all my fish. Luckily I got her out. So I don't think they're ready...

Ok I think I'm going to invest in some java moss. I think I've seen it at petsmart in a plastic container and it looked like a ball. Is that it?

It's possible you were looking at a marimo ball (moss ball). Not the same thing. Your best bet is probably to post an add in the classified section here and see if someone can mail you a bunch.

I've never seen it at either the chain stores or the mom & pop lfs. I got my first clump from a gracious forum member. If I had enough to share, I'd send you some.

I'm currently dealing with the same deal only mine are marble Molly's and were born March 6th I put one fry into my 65 and they went after her at first but than left her alone once they figured it out. I also put a floating plant in and it hid in there. I had a bacteria come through and he fell victim I'm waiting for it to clear up to add them.

I see no downside. It acts as a nitrate sponge, it offers your fry a safe haven, it can grow in low light. Just be sure when you get it to spread it out some. In other words, don't leave it in a clump if that's how it comes, or the interior of that clump will die.

Back
Top Bottom