Asin red tailed catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse18

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking about getting one what do you all think about the Asin red tailed catfish let me know so I can decide wether to get it or not

they get absolutely massive. like 4 feet long,and eat whatever fits in there mouths. IE,most aquarium fish

That doesn't look like a rtcf. I had an "asian red tailed for awhile" I tossed him in the pond after he outgrew my little tank. Turned into a monster 2 foot catfish and then one day he decided to jump out and no more catfish.

Don't bother you can't house him if that's a real rtcf (which doesn't look like one)

They all start small, but it's nit uncommon to see them hit the 48"+ mark and will be severely stunted in 99.9999999% of tanks. These are one of many fish that IMO should not be sold to the public.

I see all the time fish at LFSs that get way to big for any normal person to house. At least once a month someone will have a two inch peacock bass or five inch alligator gar.

Now, if you can offer the habitat it needs, go for it. Some people are willing to set up hundreds of gallons in a tank.

Asian redtails are a completely different fish, but they do need a large tank with excellent water quality. The tank would need to be at least 24" front-to-back for an adult to move around comfortably. A little easier to maintain than a channel cat, but more trouble than they're worth IMO. There are plenty of smaller species better suited to aquariums in general. Also keep in mind that they're nocturnal.

Ditto. People: Please read. ASIAN is different than SOUTH AMERICAN.

Hemibagrus wyckioides: Fishbase.org and planetcatfish.com both list this species at 36"+, but commonly don't reach more than 18-24".

I had one a long time ago and it matched what I have heard about them: they are extremely aggressive, even for a predatory catfish, and few if any tankmates with make it.

Back
Top Bottom