At wits end with 29gal cycle - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyINCo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29gal Walmart set up. It has been running since mid November 2011 and has had fish since December. I initially added a bacteria supplement and saw a bacteria "bloom" before I added the fish. Fish I have are 3 Bloodfin tetras (had 6 but three of them had this weird thing happen to their mouth and couldn't eat anymore), 1 Dalmatian molly, 1 neon dwarf gourami, 1 flame dwarf gourami. That's it.

My problem is the nitrogen cycle wont go past the ammonia stage. I've had an API master kit since day one and have done endless research and homework on this hobby before I even set it up. Ammonia is anywhere between .5 and 2ppm. Nitrite has never once spiked at all. Nitrate is also nonexistent. ph is about 7.6. I have been told that anything over 1ppm of ammonia is unacceptable, and that ANY ammonia can be harmful to fish.

Here's what I have tried...

When ammonia first started to spike (between .5 and 1ppm), I started doing 20-40% water changes and siphoning the gravel. It kept spiking back up within 24 hours, so I was changing water every other day for about two solid weeks.

Then a lady at Petco told me the water changes may be the culprit for the cycle not continuing. She suggested I let it go for at least a week before doing another, so I did. I waited a week before I even did another test, because I knew if i saw ammonia I would neurotically clean the tank. Testing a week later showed 2ppm am and 0ppm Nitrite. I did a 50% water change and gravel cleaning then.

I didn't want to add chemicals that early in the process, I was hoping to cycle it naturally, but at the same time I didn't want the fish to suffer and die.

I added Ammo Chips to my filter system. - nothing

I added kordon AmQuel. - nothing

I let it go a week at a time after that before testing again, and every time the ammonia was high, and the nitrite was at 0, so I did a water change to help the fish.

I continued doing this until about 3 days ago, when I just became totally fed up with this and decided to add about three times the recommended bacteria supplement with a 50% water change to see if it would help things along. The ammonia fell to .25ppm the next day and I got excited.:)

I tested the water this morning and it is rising again (1ppm ALREADY) and Nitrite is STILL at 0. I am honestly about ready to throw in the towel. I've tested my tap water, its at 0. I always add the appropriate amount of salt. I don't over feed the fish, only a few flakes a day. I have even tried skipping a day in between feedings and it doesn't help. I know my tank isn't over stocked. I change the carbon filter once a month like it says to. I feel like I'm doing everything right, everything i'm supposed to do. I have talked to SO MANY different experts. If any of you have the secret, magic answer to this, please for the love of God tell me before my poor fish die. Thank you.

I tell everyone that has problems cycling to buy Special Blend from PetCo. I have 5 tanks from 10g-150g and I've cycled the all with Special Blend and seeded material when I had some. My buddy tried cycling his with one of my seeded filters and it wasn't wanting to go. Told him to get Special Blend and it cycled in 2 days.

It's not like the other bacteria supplements. I've never had any luck with the others. SB smells like butthole but it works. I use it on all my tanks and my buddy uses it on his 2 and we've had no problems.

I'd give it a look.

The answer is a fairly simple one. Stop throwing out your filters ASAP. Every time you have replaced your filter, you have thrown away all of the good bacteria you are trying to grow. This puts you back to square one and you wind up starting a new cycle all over again!!

Carbon is not necessary & just creates an additional expense. For now (until your tank is fully cycled again), just leave the filter alone. Do not touch it. If water stops flowing through it due to debris, simply gently swish it in some used tank water. No tap water, no soap, nothing but properly conditioned tank water.

As you have restarted your cycle, you will need to test your water daily & do water changes as needed to keep your levels of amm & nitrite below .25ppm. Make sure you use temperature-matched, conditioned water for your water changes-nothing else is needed other than water conditioner dosed to the size of your tank. And have some patience! I am truly sorry you have received such misguided advice so far. Dont give up yet!! :)

jlk said:
The answer is a fairly simple one. Stop throwing out your filters ASAP. Every time you have replaced your filter, you have thrown away all of the good bacteria you are trying to grow. This puts you back to square one and you wind up starting a new cycle all over again!!

Carbon is not necessary & just creates an additional expense. For now (until your tank is fully cycled again), just leave the filter alone. Do not touch it. If water stops flowing through it due to debris, simply gently swish it in some used tank water. No tap water, no soap, nothing but properly conditioned tank water.

As you have restarted your cycle, you will need to test your water daily & do water changes as needed to keep your levels of amm & nitrite below .25ppm. Make sure you use temperature-matched, conditioned water for your water changes-nothing else is needed other than water conditioner dosed to the size of your tank. And have some patience! I am truly sorry you have received such misguided advice so far. Dont give up yet!! :)

+1

Please read these.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

That's my favorite thing to read...boxes from places like PetSmart that says remember to change your filter every 3-4 weeks

Mr.Pleco said:
That's my favorite thing to read...boxes from places like PetSmart that says remember to change your filter every 3-4 weeks

I know! Misinformation like that should be a crime.

I know! Misinformation like that should be a crime.
...Specially when it is coming from reputable companies. My Fluval 406 said to change all my media once a month...really? I think almost all of us can sympathize with the OP when it comes to falling victim to these misinformation traps.

I personally use Seachem Stability when i'm cycling my tanks. I've seen great results in the speed and quality of the cycle. Just my opinion though :)

Thanks to all of you. Finally something new to try. Just to not though, I am only replacing the blue carbon-filled filter that water passes through first. There is also a black webby looking filter that sits behind the carbon one that I don't touch.

Here's a thought... Should I just take out the carbon filter altogether? I hear the only need for them is to clarify the water and to control medications and such. Is it needed? Or is that black scour pad looking filter sufficient?

you can try removing the carbon and see if there is a biological media you can get to replace it. I might have overlooked it but what type of filter is it?

The type of filter will help us here! Most carbon-type filters you can either open them & dump the carbon out or slit the filter & dump it out. I would then stuff it with polyfill (a couple of bucks a bag at Walmart or arts & crafts store). Your other option would be to replace the carbon filter altogether- I would only consider doing this if you recently changed it (as in the last 2-3 days). Foam filter inserts work well as a replacement, last a long time, & give your bacteria lots of room to grow on. Hope this helps!

It's a blue pouch attached to a bit of plastic that has carbon chips in it, and it slides down into the filter casing in front of that black scour pad looking filter. It came with the tank setup that I bought from Walmart.

Another problem may be is that filter that came with the setup probably isn't big enough. Id look into buying one that 2x the size of ur tank.

The vast majority of the time the filters that come with the started kits are not near powerful enough for the tank. As boadams87 said you might want to look into a larger filter.

Aquaclear makes some that are reasonably priced and also very good IMO.

Never replace filter cartridges, unless they are falling apart. I have used nutrafin instant cycle and it has worked wonders for me personally.

MandyINCo said:
I'm sure my first mistake was buying a kit from Walmart. :-/

Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes when we start out. Without this app, alot more of us would be making them too.

MandyINCo said:
I'm sure my first mistake was buying a kit from Walmart. :-/

Not at all! We have all done things thinking it was the right thing to do only to find out otherwise. My first setup was a tank kit from PETCO. I had the same issues you're having. I think most of us have all been there!

I went out today and picked up nutrafin instant cycle, a new (different) siphon and two live plants (a sword and mmm something I can't remember the name of). I also changed out about 50% of my substrate with smaller, raw, unpainted gravel and I got rid of all the goofy neon colored fake plants and stuff. I did about a 20% water change and siphoned the old gravel really good. I added the nutrafin with the new water, as well as a hefty dose of API stress coat. I wanted to get some of that prime you guys talk about, but I literally just bought a huge bottle of API and I need to use it. Tested the water a few minutes ago (about 5hrs after the change) and ammonia is at .5ppm. :-/ .... I really hope this nutrafin stuff works. I am not going to touch the dang filter. In fact, I poured half of the nutrafin dose directly onto the filter! Everyone cross your fingers for me!

MandyINCo said:
I went out today and picked up nutrafin instant cycle, a new (different) siphon and two live plants (a sword and mmm something I can't remember the name of). I also changed out about 50% of my substrate with smaller, raw, unpainted gravel and I got rid of all the goofy neon colored fake plants and stuff. I did about a 20% water change and siphoned the old gravel really good. I added the nutrafin with the new water, as well as a hefty dose of API stress coat. I wanted to get some of that prime you guys talk about, but I literally just bought a huge bottle of API and I need to use it. Tested the water a few minutes ago (about 5hrs after the change) and ammonia is at .5ppm. :-/ .... I really hope this nutrafin stuff works. I am not going to touch the dang filter. In fact, I poured half of the nutrafin dose directly onto the filter! Everyone cross your fingers for me!

R u going to dose it back to 4 ppm ammonia?

Hope it works for you. Since it's Wal-mart setup I'm assuming you have the same lights it came with?

Hope your plants don't die. Swords require higher lighting.
I'd give it a few days before the Nutrafin takes hold and starts working. Just gotta be patient...a little longer lol

Back
Top Bottom