Attention: Need your Help I have strange Chinese Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueOrion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About eight months ago I bought two Chinese Algae eaters from Wal-Mart. Each of them were about 1 1/2 inches long. One of them had a dark green stripe on each side.
Two months later the eater with the green stripe turned orange with a silver belly. It was not sick, and acted normally. It is five inches long now, but still retains the same color. The other eater is about the same length and has the original color scheme of gold and small green spots.
My cousin who studies biology has a theory that it may be a half-breed of another fish. We studied it carefully, and he thinks its 'other half' may be platy.
I, on the other hand, have another theory and think that its the male of this species. I far as my knowledge extends, these fish never bred in captivity, much less a male get into the system.

Another strange thing is their behavior. Usually people say that these fish are aggressive and chase other fish. I have seen it myself, but my own hide away and are very scarable. Help anyone? I'm 17 and had fishes for aobut 3 years... :roll:

Definitely not a platy/CAE mix; they cannot interbreed (maybe your cousin needs to look into a different profession *grin*).

You may have an albino CAE, although it shouldn't have changed color but started out that way. Albino CAEs are the color combo you describe tho. I do not believe the male and females are sexually dimorphic, but I could be wrong.

I know that the stripes on CAEs can change according to mood; when I had a couple, it would get darker and deeper (maybe the green stripe you mentioned) when they were scared and turn sort of speckly or brown-dashed when they were comfortable. But I have no idea about the orange, sorry! :|

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you may have a Siamese algae eater instead of a Chinese algae eater... I thought that SAE's had the stripe going down the side. That would explain your abnormal behavior because SAE's are peaceful fish, not agressive...

I had a similar experience with my CAE - as a juvenile he has a nice stripe down his side and was covered in spots. Today his stripe is more or less gone and his spots are nowhere to be found. I've heard from other people too about the patterns of the juveniles dissapearing over time. I wouldn't be worried, just know that they eventually stop eating algae and start becoming very agressive (when they are 6"+)

Back
Top Bottom