Baby platies lost in gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys...
Many of you have seen the threads of my female platy Trixie giving birth and me being able to save 7 from Jan 1st batch & 23 from Jan 31st batch... I moved all the platies into their own 10g with gravel and plastic plants a few weeks ago. Prior to that they were in a 1g that had daily 90% PWC... Everything was going well.
The youngest platies seemed to be big enough to stay away from the filter intake at 3-4 wks old... And the older ones definitely were as they were twice as big...
I noticed the numbers seemed to be going down and the only ones I saw regularly were the older ones and the occasional young one... Where as the first couple days the young ones always swam around together and were quite visible. I thought some might have had poor fate with the filter but upon watching them they always were able to get away. Not much moving in the gravel... But being they were the same color as the gravel it was hard to know for sure...
Today I pulled them all out and found only 16 total... 2 of which were alive swimming in the filter... And a few dead ones in the filter... Fuzzy... One was so washed away it was a thin little pencil body with puffed up eyes... So sad!
I decided right then that the nursery had to be a bare bottom tank with the plastic plants placed around. Also about 20 or so quarter sized black rocks for hiding against... Makes bottom easy to clean with the babies still being able to feel comfortable. I also put the sponge back over filter intake.
Before I couldn't siphon gravel because I would suck up these fry and I had to catch these guys every time... Was hard and stressful for them. Now I'll be Able to keep it appropriately clean and things should settle down...
Down from 30 platies to 16...
My little Valentines day surprise Molly "Valentine" is also in the tank and appears to be doing quite well. ... Little Piggie... I'm going to keep him/her separate from other molly juvies... Hoping it's a BOY! Would love to replace my male...

I also lost platy babies in my gravel. I only managed to save 2 though. I had no idea they were there and I vacuumed the gravel :(

ccross said:
I also lost platy babies in my gravel. I only managed to save 2 though. I had no idea they were there and I vacuumed the gravel :(

Ah.. :-( I'm sorry... Hopefully have it all taken care of now...
I'm used to baby mollies and they're much more social than the platies are..

Ah.. :-( I'm sorry... Hopefully have it all taken care of now...
I'm used to baby mollies and they're much more social than the platies are..

I didnt even know I had fry. We have only had the platy's for a bit over a week. We bought a breeder net so we will be ready for the next round. Jack and jill as my kids call them are doing well :)

Ya I'm still waiting for my two female platys to drop fry. I can see black dots in the twin bars abdomen so I know she's holding. So I'm hoping it's any day now. I have a breeder net ready as well. I had fry dropped once before but I couldn't save them cuz I had to leave for work once I noticed them. And I think my blue Mickey mouse female is preggo as well since I can see her gravid spot cuz it's a big black circle. It's always sad when you do your best to care for them and the little ones go first

Chronos313 said:
Ya I'm still waiting for my two female platys to drop fry. I can see black dots in the twin bars abdomen so I know she's holding. So I'm hoping it's any day now. I have a breeder net ready as well. I had fry dropped once before but I couldn't save them cuz I had to leave for work once I noticed them. And I think my blue Mickey mouse female is preggo as well since I can see her gravid spot cuz it's a big black circle. It's always sad when you do your best to care for them and the little ones go first

Congrats on your upcoming fry. :>
well in this case it was a mistake and I should have realized I wouldn't get to clean tank properly with gravel...
Learned my lesson... I'll have bare bottom nursery from now on...
I kinda like it the way it is now... Tank brighter because lights shine off more glass... :) and I'm more inclined to clean more often because I can visibly see flakes and waste on bottom...
These platies aren't pigs like my mollies and don't rush to eat..

Ya I'm getting impatient unfortunately which seems silly but I really wanna see what color combos I'll be getting. I'm letting nature do it's thing, but nature is slow lol. Both my large bulbous females are in my ten gallon, I'm wondering if they are holding because they aren't by themselves. Any thoughts?

Chronos313 said:
Ya I'm getting impatient unfortunately which seems silly but I really wanna see what color combos I'll be getting. I'm letting nature do it's thing, but nature is slow lol. Both my large bulbous females are in my ten gallon, I'm wondering if they are holding because they aren't by themselves. Any thoughts?

My platy gave birth with others around both times...
And my molly females spit em out with 5 other mollies around and a betta..

Ya when I had fry unfortunately my red eye tetras made a snack out of them as I was preparing to go to work. But now I have only neons, corys, danios and platys in my 30 gallon

rreekers said:
go the Walmart and buy some $0.33 pantyhose and put it over the end of vacuum

I just put the filter sponge back on.. Fluval Edge makes it for $2.99... I just thought they didn't need it because I saw them swimming away.. My mollies are safe from filter at 2 wks.. I thought certainly the platies would be at 4 wks...

Pic of how tank looks now.
View attachment 80685

Chronos313 said:
Ya when I had fry unfortunately my red eye tetras made a snack out of them as I was preparing to go to work. But now I have only neons, corys, danios and platys in my 30 gallon

Ah bummer!!

ocminpin said:
I just put the filter sponge back on.. Fluval Edge makes it for $2.99... I just thought they didn't need it because I saw them swimming away.. My mollies are safe from filter at 2 wks.. I thought certainly the platies would be at 4 wks...

Pic of how tank looks now.

I was not talking about the filter... I'm talking about your gravel vacuum .. like when. you do water changes

Watch out for the danios. They made a snack out of some of my fry. They are fast too...

rreekers said:
I was not talking about the filter... I'm talking about your gravel vacuum .. like when. you do water changes

Oh! Doesn't seem to get as much up because of all the food in the bottom... They get fed more often than others so always more junk in gravel.. I'm doing PWC every other day now.. Much easier so it isn't a hassle anymore :)

Ya I'm hoping my twin bar drops soon. I'm hoping I can get a blue colored twin bar or a red one out of her fry when she let's go of em. I have a blue Mickey mouse male she was with as well as my red wag tail. I just hope I can get some good photos in time as well.

Back
Top Bottom