bacterial blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long do they last? My 36g has had it for like 2 weeks now and hasn't been clearing up. I've been doing weekly water changes. Help!

Is this tank cycling or established?

If it's cycling then don't worry about it until it's cycle is complete.

I need to know how long they usually last and to speed up the process.

It will last for as long as the conditions a right. In an established tank I'd say you need to do a few thorough gravel cleanings and some oxygenation. Most resources say it is from a build up of crud in the tank and helped along by over feeding.

blert said:
It will last for as long as the conditions a right. In an established tank I'd say you need to do a few thorough gravel cleanings and some oxygenation. Most resources say it is from a build up of crud in the tank and helped along by over feeding.

I can't stir up sand otherwise it'll cloud up more. Will like a bubble stone help for oxygen?

fishdud said:
I can't stir up sand otherwise it'll cloud up more. Will like a bubble stone help for oxygen?

It will help, yes.

You could do a UV sterilizer but it's only going to be a bandaid fix.

If you have sand as a substrate my guess would be that something is kicking up the sand, or something burried some kind of food or dead fish and forgot about it. Cant be leftover food or poo, cuz you would see it, sitting on top of the sand.

Matt68005 said:
If you have sand as a substrate my guess would be that something is kicking up the sand, or something burried some kind of food or dead fish and forgot about it. Cant be leftover food or poo, cuz you would see it, sitting on top of the sand.

That's what im thinkin, could be the snails I buried with the sand but I'm not sure. I also had a neon tetra die on me but couldn't find it so it must be buried as well underneath.

Could this actually be green water? Do you have a lot of light on the tank or is it near a window?

aqua_chem said:
Could this actually be green water? Do you have a lot of light on the tank or is it near a window?

It's not green water. It's milky smoky white, It's near a window which is covered up with a blanket so no light is hitting the tank.

fishdud said:
That's what im thinkin, could be the snails I buried with the sand but I'm not sure. I also had a neon tetra die on me but couldn't find it so it must be buried as well underneath.

Very likely the cause. You should never leave dead animals in your tank as it can cause major issues.

blert said:
Very likely the cause. You should never leave dead animals in your tank as it can cause major issues.

I thought I had gotten all the snails out :p

Back
Top Bottom