Bad Expirence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
I don't think the fate of the business is resting on whether the guy finds someone who meets his approval for discus keeping.

Rather than assuming the guy is a weenie (although he could very well be), lets look at it from another angle. Maybe the guy has had this discus for years and has experienced the trials that come with this species. Maybe he's not going to give it up easily because of that, and the first impression you made wasn't up to par in his eyes.

Many old school fishkeepers still do few and far between water changes, so that's not surprising to hear. It doesn't make him an idiot though, just a person who hasn't come around with the times. He's obviously had enough gumption to operate a store so I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Honestly the business does kind of rest on that. But not just disagreeing with you! My reasoning being that it's a very small shop with little to no business. So if he doesn't make a sale
then it effects him, as he is a personal business owner.

But I do see where you are coming from and would like to think he is looking out for the well being of the fish. But the impression I got from this man was that he almost got some satisfaction as to talking down to us. But what really made me lose all his respect and credibility was seeing the extremely poorly treated turtle I mentioned earlier. With both of these combined it drew me to vent here where I could get some thoughts from fellow hobbyists. The shop is called finns & things in Jackson NJ. Just for anyone in the area interested.

And thanks jetajockey for bringing some
Other thoughts to the discussion.

Jackson NJ I'm In bordentown you should go to Lawrence and check out pets plus or head to Levittown PA and go to hidden reef but last time I was at both places neither had any good discus but they get shipments of them in all the time my friend manages the fish department at the pets plus he's a really good guy

Jackson NJ I'm In bordentown you should go to Lawrence and check out pets plus or head to Levittown PA and go to hidden reef but last time I was at both places neither had any good discus but they get shipments of them in all the time my friend manages the fish department at the pets plus he's a really good guy

I actually have passed hidden reef before and I am in that area sometimes, so I'll definitely check them both out! Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks guys. Just wanted someone to agree with me! Just insane. Unfortunately this guy is the owner and is pretty much the only one ever there. But I really don't wanna give him my money anyway! I do feel bad though, he has 1 lonely discus (who's water is apparently changed once a month) and he has had a musk turtle in a 20G tank with no basking area, no heater, no light and dirty water! And it's illegal to sell turtles in NJ! Hate people like this!

Now I guess it depends on how big of an irritation you'd like to make yourself, but you can go back in with the laws ( your state codes) concerning the turtles and then start the negotiating process.

Tell him you'd like to purchase the discus, again. When he gets his attitude on you can tell him, "You're right. I don't know everything about discus fish, however I do know this. ' State him the law, verbatim, and see what his reaction is.

As long as you're confident about the law, then you can simply negotiate the fish or a call to the state attorney general, whichever he'd prefer.

Since you don't have the fish, you've lost nothing by trying to gamble.

Then again...I thrive on agitating people like that.

Yupp I can't wait for the day he goes outta business. I just mentioned basic discus care. Stuff like, higher temp, pristine water, best kept in groups, diet, etc... He then went on his mini rant on how discus love old water and it shouldn't be changed more than once a month. I hate not being taken seriously especially as I consider myself a serious hobbyist. I can only imagine being 16 :/
ehh i know about these issues to well sadly. Im 23 and get that with everything not just fish but as im a mother and look like im about 17 or so i get told. People gotta learn to get there facts straight before they judge others. And i know a lot of teenagers that are a lot more bright and clued on than some older people supposidly wiser people. Anyways back on topic i wouldnt buy anything from him he will just replace it with another poor discus that will have to tolerate dirty water. And with the turtle id report that to your local animal welfare services poor little love.

Now I guess it depends on how big of an irritation you'd like to make yourself, but you can go back in with the laws ( your state codes) concerning the turtles and then start the negotiating process.

Tell him you'd like to purchase the discus, again. When he gets his attitude on you can tell him, "You're right. I don't know everything about discus fish, however I do know this. ' State him the law, verbatim, and see what his reaction is.

As long as you're confident about the law, then you can simply negotiate the fish or a call to the state attorney general, whichever he'd prefer.

yeah i would definatley get someone involved concerning the welfare of the turtle

Scott F said:

Isn't that blackmail though?!

Back
Top Bottom