Badis in community bad or good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to figure out what to add to my 30g community tank. It is a toss up between one of the smaller gourami species and badis badis! But both worry me for the same reason. They're territorial! I am beginning to Shy away from gouramis, because my blushing pristellas have long flowy fins and I worry they will fight (granted not betta flowy, they are flowy!). found out aboht badis badis and they are gorgeous! I was thinking about adding a pair to my tank but am unsure and was wanting your guys advice/experiences! I worry about them killing my fish off if they spawn.

My 30 gallon is planted, has sand and new peice of sexy mopai! Tannins have made my water a light tea colour, I love it! I also have a couple cave decorations and would get more for badis (as my Khulis sort of staked their claim to them). I currently have 3 blushing pristellas (plan on getting more if I ever find any! Make a nice school of 10 or so) and 4 black Khulis. Also a few ghost shrimps.

I have a 55g planted tank that I am starting to stock as a community of nano fish only. I'm adding 30 Chili Rasbora, 14 Scarlet Badis, 10 Clown Killifish, 6 Burmese Rosey Loaches, and 14 Aspidoras Albater.

I think if you only add a pair of Badis Badis, which are larger than Scarlet Badis in a tank of that size with Blushing Tetra's, aka White Skirt Tetra's, they are going to feel very insecure and probably get outcompeted for food. I seriously doubt you would have to worry about aggression to a point of fish being killed. If you have a lot of plants this can help greatly with aggression issues.

I have a 55g planted tank that I am starting to stock as a community of nano fish only. I'm adding 30 Chili Rasbora, 14 Scarlet Badis, 10 Clown Killifish, 6 Burmese Rosey Loaches, and 14 Aspidoras Albater.

I think if you only add a pair of Badis Badis, which are larger than Scarlet Badis in a tank of that size with Blushing Tetra's, aka White Skirt Tetra's, they are going to feel very insecure and probably get outcompeted for food. I seriously doubt you would have to worry about aggression to a point of fish being killed. If you have a lot of plants this can help greatly with aggression issues.

Are they white skirt tetras?! I can never find a true explanation for what they are! Only found "albino x-ray tetra" or "blushing pristella". They were in a tank with white skirts but these have bigger eyes and more milky. They were sold under "emperor tetra" which is obviously very wrong!

I was also looking at the scarlet ones! So you think it is a bad idea (because of probability of being outcompeted for food) in general or because only one pair?

Your 55g sounds like A dream. Cant wait to see pics! do you have a thread of it already? I originally wanted a big school of mosquito rasboras but they're crazy expensive over here. (Then I saw the 3 tetras and fell in love and just bought them on impulse. )

In my experience, scarlet badis are shy feeders so active fish would not make great tankmates.

Here is a pic of one! I made a thread about them a while back. Sorry to get off topic but I am curious as to what they truly are! I can't find much info under "blushing pristella" when google it ect.
image-2712045299.jpg

That is what we call here a White skirt tetra. See if you can find info using that. It is definitely a "skirt" tetra.

I'm going to be switching to a planted 55 gal tank FW community and I have these fish.. I will be upping the school on the tetras, loach, and Cory's but I was wondering if I could put a scarlet badis badis or scarlet badis? Do they need to be in pairs?

3 gold barbs
3 bst tetra
3 lemon tetra
3 hy 511 tetra
1 clown
2 Juilli Cory's
1 Bolivian ram
1 kuhili loach

No on both, especially Scarlet Badis which are very small. They are shy fish and easily outcompeted for food and territory. If you noticed I'm doing a nano fish only tank so they are all very similar in size and personality. Badis Badis are slightly bigger but still not suitable for most community tanks.

No on both, especially Scarlet Badis which are very small. They are shy fish and easily outcompeted for food and territory. If you noticed I'm doing a nano fish only tank so they are all very similar in size and personality. Badis Badis are slightly bigger but still not suitable for most community tanks.

Oh I googled them both quickly and saw what they looked like and I really liked them. Didn't know they were really small and shy... Dang. Thanks for the heads up

Oh I googled them both quickly and saw what they looked like and I really liked them. Didn't know they were really small and shy... Dang. Thanks for the heads up

I know it's so sad! it give us an excuse to start another tank though ;D

I will definitely be following if/when you make the thread! I swear your tanks are works of art.

Well thank you! I really do plan on making a thread only because the only time you usually hear about nano fish are in nano tanks... lol! I've been in the hobby so long and have kept so many different types of tanks in freshwater and saltwater that I wanted to do something a little different this time. I've always enjoyed nano fish, well the few I've kept, and thought it would be fun to do a larger tank which allowed for larger groups. If you research you find many times articles talk about how different they act when kept in larger groups like in the wild. I know my list sounds like a lot but all those fish are so tiny I still bet they seem lost in the 55. Plus once the plants I moved from the 220 get bigger with the rock and DW I think I will get a rare look at their behavior which most people don't get to see.

Back
Top Bottom