Banjo Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think this is one awesome looking fish and am considering it for the 90 gallon tank I'm planning on setting up soon. I would appreciate input from anyone who has experience with this fish. It would be in a 90 gallon community tank. Do they prefer sand substrate? Also do they uproot plants? I'm planning on making a the 90 gallon a low light fairly heavily planted tank.

TIA!

All I know about banjo catfish is they are very peaceful and very very lazy! They like sandy substrate. I think you have to be careful who you house them with since they are completely unable to compete for food due to their almost lack of any movement.

i have a bunch of cichlids and they seem to eat all the food i put in, yet every time i dig up my 2 banjos they are fat as hell. when they are hungry they will come out at feeding time, even if its still lightout

i have a banjo catfish and he is extremely "lazy", the reason they look like that is to camouflage with the leaf litter at the bottom of stream and river beds, they may sometimes act dead if you try to move them or things around them and will float around for a moment

mine wont feed while the others do, so i usually turn out my lights then put in some sinking wafers or when i give them blood worms i turn the lights off in the middle of the feeding to make sure some get to the bottom for him

They prefer sand or fine gravel...and with my 12, I have yet to have one uproot a plant. Just don't expect to see them much, as they are quite nocturnal and prefer to remain buried during daylight hours.

sounds like the kinda fish I'm looking for. I don't mind them being sedentary, as long as they're enjoying the good life. I don't mind seeing them rarely, extra excitement when you do. I think they look awesome, amazing cryptic camo.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom