barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although that was your experience (and it sounds like a good one :D ), you really can't guarantee. Of course fish keeping is a hobby with no guarantees, but honestly your situation sounds unusual. Gold Barbs are known fin nippers, and betta fish are on the extreme end of long-finned. I would strongly recommend against it.

Absolutely agree that there really are no guarantee's in aquaria, but I raise you (poker terms :) ) the fact that I bought 3 from the same tank, no aggression toward the basic tropical community fish (no betta at this time) about a year later bought 2 from another source bringing my count to 5 and later added a crowntail betta, still no aggression. I'm totally not using my experiance as a standard across the board but I've yet to see aggression outta these little guys. They've since moved into a tank with my blood parrot and actually stay away from him but that doesn't mean much. Its just so hard when it comes to things like this because you get people that have kept multiple jack dempseys with tropical fish and they never bother the fish and then you get people who get one and it wrecks the tank. This is exactly why we stress research, research research. Its always nice to know peoples experiance so you can make your own decision.

Well maxima, if you're anything like me you will change your mind a lot lol. When my 10 was cycling I went through so many combos of what I wanted, it all comes down to what you decide in the end. There are so many awesome fish, I just wish I could throw a bunch in one tank sometimes lol

You could keep a school of White Cloud minnows with a school of cory cats, and a betta.

In a 30G, you could probably do 10 each of White Clouds and cory cats, plus the betta. IMO, this would look sweet, because White Clouds stay near the top of the water, and the corys will stay near the bottom. The betta will swim at all levels.

People often caution that White Clouds are cold-water fish. This is true, in that they can survive in cold water. However, as severum mama can attest, they can live and even thrive (hers breed) in water up to 80 degrees.

Lastly, a word of caution - When you do get your White Clouds/Betta, first make sure your LFS will allow you to return within the first 2-3 days. When you introduce them to your tank, watch carefully. Although White Clouds are docile, you can sometimes get a "rogue" that will nip or attack - if that is the case, return it! And get a nicer one :D Same goes for the betta, some are just not cool with other fish - but some are, so try to get a "community" betta.

Back
Top Bottom