20 Gallon high Stocking :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBird1298

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I current have 5 kuhli loachs 4 Cory cat (1 albino 1 green/bronze and 2 peppers) and 1 Chinese algae eater. I'm thinking about adding 8 cherry barbs,
do you think the tank would be overstocked?

The parameters are great for the species I'm really just thinking about the size of the tank for everyone :). Also the algae eater does fine with everyone in the tank, he's about 6 or 7 years old and is super chill (will be upgrading him in the future) but for now he would be part of the stocking list :).

I posted a thread about the cherry barbs and with some help we determined
cherry barbs would be great parameter wise. Just worried about over stocking.
Wanted to get some more advice before I go ahead with the new fish, also will be quarantining them before they go into tank.

Thanks in advance! :thanks: :fish2: :fish1:

I would say its pushing things, mainly due to the chinese algae eater. Take that out of the equation i would say moderately stocked. With an adult sized CAE very heavily stocked. If you are up for multiple water changes per week you may get away with it.

Would you recommend something smaller or a fish that does not need to be in schools that would be a better fit stocking wise? Also what would you say my stocking level is currently?

Thanks! (Sorry about all the questions!)

From a purely bioload PoV i would say your current stocking level is very similar to your proposed stocking if you removed the CAE. Moderate.

For the purposes of discussion, lets use the 1"/gallon guideline. Yes, i know 1"/gallon isnt a great metric but when discussing fish in appropriately sized tanks it will prevent you overstocking. For instance a 10g tank could accomodate 10 x 1" fish, but couldn't do a 1 x 10" fish.

Currently assuming everything is adult sized you have 30 to 35 inches of fish in a 20 gallon tank. I think thats doable, purely based on a decent weekly water change will keep water parameters safe. The elephant in the room is the CAE which you have already recognised as you have plans to rehome it. That fish really needs to be in a bigger tank, and i would get it moved before you looked at adding anything different in your 20H.

Back
Top Bottom