Best algae cleaner???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cassiebug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best algae eating fish? I have a 29 gal with angels, rabbit snails, yoyo loaches, cories and siamese algae eaters, but the glass still gets that film of algae. What are the best 'housekeepers' for the job?

TIA

cassiebug

greetings.

suposedly the best algae-eating pleco is gibbiceps, unfortunately it grows to a size of 13.78 inches. I have siamese algae eaters myself and tbh as they've grown older they have lost taste for algae, but maybe i feed too many wafers. have you considered simply swiping the inner glass with a algae removal magnet?

sincerely,
nereksnad.

What is the best algae eating fish? I have a 29 gal with angels, rabbit snails, yoyo loaches, cories and siamese algae eaters, but the glass still gets that film of algae. What are the best 'housekeepers' for the job?

TIA

cassiebug

Otto's ... they are algae eating machines. Amano and Red Cherry shrimp are right up there as well if you were considering going inverts.

Ottos or bristle nosed plecos. The bnps are the only plecos that,IMO, are the only plecos that still 'eat' algae when they get older. Most 'algae eaters' grow out of it as they age.

Instead of getting an animal to take care of a problem, it is better to tackle the cause. Some causes of algae are leaving the lights on too long, nutrient imbalances, sunlight entering the tank and having too much light in the tank.

Thanks much for all the good suggestions! Think it will be between the otos and bnps, maybe a few rcs.

cassiebug

Algae Problems

TIA

cassiebug

Hello cass...

Algae eaters aren't the best means of removing algae. Algae is only a food supplement for fish and they only eat it if there's nothing else available. Algae grows in water with a lot of dissolved food in it. If you reduce the amount you feed your fish and plants, the algae will shrink and eventually disappear.

I feed my fish and plants just a little twice a week. I have no visible algae in any of my planted tanks.

The process takes time. The algae didn't appear overnight, so you can't get rid of it overnight either. In the mean time, just scrape it from the front glass so you can see into the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom