Best glass cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi guys my aquarium glass is starting to get some algae on it what is the best fish that will clean the glass

I'm a big fan of bristlenosed plecos. I had them in all 82 tanks in my hatchery and the glass in each tank was squeaky clean. (y) And now there are a number of varieties and color morphs to choose from that there is one for everyone. ;)

Don't buy a fish to clean algae. Just use a soap free sponge. Go to a $2 shop and buy a 5 pack of the cheap sponges. Wash them with warm soapy water to remove any dyes or chemicals, rinse well and use that to wipe the inside of the glass down.

Best to use a razor blade with care for the algae that’s harder to scrape off with a sponge or magnet cleaner, but apply care near the edges where the silicone is!

I have one but still dirty
All I can say is I used 2 small ones (1 1/2"- 1 3/4") in my 10s and 3 or more in my tanks of 25 gallons or larger and never needed to scrape the glass anymore. There are a number of smaller species of plecos and not all of them eat algae. If you can post a pic of yours, maybe we can figure out what you have and if it's the right one.
These are what I had: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/41382-albums14395-picture69622.html

I know you said you were looking for fish, but might I recommend Nerite Snails. They keep all my tanks clean. I keep one snail for every 5 gallons.

Don't buy a fish to clean algae. Just use a soap free sponge. Go to a $2 shop and buy a 5 pack of the cheap sponges. Wash them with warm soapy water to remove any dyes or chemicals, rinse well and use that to wipe the inside of the glass down.
I was looking at them at are them say not for aquarium and the reason why is because they soak them in a saltwater solution to keep them damp

Nerite snails are cone shaped snails that lay small white eggs everywhere but they don't survive unless the larvae are hatched in brackish water.

Mystery snails are bigger and round (similar shape to a common garden snail) and lay clusters of pink or white eggs out of water (usually on the coverglass). I prefer mystery snails.

My tank glass in particular has never been cleaner since getting nerite snails. Had rabbit snails for ages, which I would recommend to anyone anyway. They are so cool to watch.

I'm not sure if nerites would be suitable in a tank with a plec though. I know the plec I used to have used to knock the rabbit snails all over the show. It's like they were her play toys.

Nerites can't breathe if they get knocked over.

Has others kept a plec with nerites?

Back
Top Bottom