Best filter bio media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im guessing its Marine Pure, followed closely by Substrat Pro and Matrix.
Is this correct or is there something better?

I love Marine Pure, but it breaks down over time (a long time, but still breaks down)

Looking for substitutes.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My guess is there is little evidence on this, and a lot of opinion, along with "how good does it have to be"? For instance, do you need a block full of 8 bedroom houses when you're only generating enough food for 1 person per house?

I've had tanks keep their cycle just fine with carbon and filter floss, both "inferior" homes for bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I understand what your saying, althought Matrix and Marine Pure both claim to have scientifically tested their products. Its on their website.
Not sure about Eheim.

My guess is there is little evidence on this, and a lot of opinion, along with "how good does it have to be"? For instance, do you need a block full of 8 bedroom houses when you're only generating enough food for 1 person per house?

I've had tanks keep their cycle just fine with carbon and filter floss, both "inferior" homes for bacteria.

I am agreeing completely with trenna here. I've been saying something similar for quite a while actually.
I understand what your saying, althought Matrix and Marine Pure both claim to have scientifically tested their products. Its on their website.
Not sure about Eheim.

"Scientifically" tested really means little. Does it really matter if you spend a bunch of money on the best filter media you can get when a simple filter cartridge does the exact same thing?

That being said, the best type of filter in existence is a fluidized sand filter. Following that, I would go with a pumice block.

Mebbid I think I borrowed that "how good does it have to be" from you.

Even if it's scientifically tested, are all those extra features necessary? Dalto made a good point recently about not using filter media that is solving a nonexistent problem. And why have media that can host 50 billion bacteria when you will never have enough ammonia for 25 billion.

Pumice stone? Like the thingies for cleaning toilets? That sounds sorta weird and awesome all at once. Why pumice stone?

Mebbid I think I borrowed that "how good does it have to be" from you.

Even if it's scientifically tested, are all those extra features necessary? Dalto made a good point recently about not using filter media that is solving a nonexistent problem. And why have media that can host 50 billion bacteria when you will never have enough ammonia for 25 billion.

Pumice stone? Like the thingies for cleaning toilets? That sounds sorta weird and awesome all at once. Why pumice stone?

Pumice is super porous and can host a ton of bacteria. Seachem's denitrate is actually nothing but repackaged overpriced pumice.

I plan on using pumice as the filter media in a reef tank I'm in the process of designing

How/where would one use it? Put a big chunk in, in place of the little ceramic things?

How/where would one use it? Put a big chunk in, in place of the little ceramic things?

You could use it anywhere tbh. I plan on using it in a wet dry filter but you could just stick a chunk in a hob filter. I'm only gonna do it that way because the o2 exchange is gonna be a real problem for me.

In lower flow it will develop anaerobic areas and help with denitrification

I just Googled it. Looks like matrix and very porous.
Very interesting.

Wish we could buy them in small 1/2 inch balls or spheres.

I really dislike the appearance of the ceramic rings in the top of the hob, being sort or wet dry. (It's the little things ...) I might switch to pumice eventually just for that!

I really dislike the appearance of the ceramic rings in the top of the hob, being sort or wet dry. (It's the little things ...) I might switch to pumice eventually just for that!

Cut your sponge lengthwise so it is half as tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

BioHome Ultimate, can last for years and years if you look after it (y)

Cut your sponge lengthwise so it is half as tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Funny. I did that on the whisper 10i in my betta tank, when I filled it up sort of like a canister. Having sponge on top pacifies me until I start upgrading to the really pretty glass hardware.

Back
Top Bottom