Best food for shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently set up a mini shrimp tank (will be moved to a 30gal in few months)

I wanna make sure they're gonna have the best they can while I'm setting up their new home.

I already feed them fresh veggies, but I wanna try brand name shrimp foods.

So which are the best to ensure healthy shirmpies?

Thanks!

I've recently set up a mini shrimp tank (will be moved to a 30gal in few months)

I wanna make sure they're gonna have the best they can while I'm setting up their new home.

I already feed them fresh veggies, but I wanna try brand name shrimp foods.

So which are the best to ensure healthy shirmpies?

Thanks!

Shrimp actually don't NEED shrimp food as long as there is enough natural algae. If algae is running low, I usually add some bits of an algae wafer. But if you really want shrimp pellets, omega is a pretty good company.

Shrimp actually don't NEED shrimp food as long as there is enough natural algae. If algae is running low, I usually add some bits of an algae wafer. But if you really want shrimp pellets, omega is a pretty good company.

My shrimp don't seem to like algae wafers -_-

Ill try to grow some on a rock in a dish?

My shrimp don't seem to like algae wafers -_-

Ill try to grow some on a rock in a dish?

Does the tank have any signs of algae growth? Does it get natural sunlight? If there is no natural sunlight reaching the tank for at least a few hours a day and there is no sign of algae growth ( or very little sign ), then yeah, grow algae on a rock in tank water near a sunlit area.

Does the tank have any signs of algae growth? Does it get natural sunlight? If there is no natural sunlight reaching the tank for at least a few hours a day and there is no sign of algae growth ( or very little sign ), then yeah, grow algae on a rock in tank water near a sunlit area.

I've placed it near a window purposefully to help algae bloom a bit.

I've also taken some plants from my other tanks for them to feed on for now.

They seem happy enough. Have a few of em moulting so they must like it.

Attachments

• image-1908370828.jpg
    image-1908370828.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 74
I've placed it near a window purposefully to help algae bloom a bit.

I've also taken some plants from my other tanks for them to feed on for now.

They seem happy enough. Have a few of em moulting so they must like it.

Alright. The shrimp look pretty happy and if they are molting, it means they are growing, which mean there is an adequate amount of food. :). Once the rock is covered in algae, the shrimp will swarm like bees! It will be very fun to watch.

Ok I've set a piece if slate from my tank in the window.

The tub is filled with tank water and will be in the sun for at least 14 hours so algae should grow.

And thanks! Ill look into that food too :D

Ok I've set a piece if slate from my tank in the window.

The tub is filled with tank water and will be in the sun for at least 14 hours so algae should grow.

And thanks! Ill look into that food too :D

Yup. It should grow. Good luck with raising shrimp. :)

This is kind of a myth. In dedicated shrimp tanks it is very beneficial to feed them -- just like anything else in your tank. They'll appreciate varied diets and many foods will aid in superior color and health. Some shrimp foods have some very cool things in them: pumpkin, carrot, and lots of specific nutrients that they need.

This is kind of a myth. In dedicated shrimp tanks it is very beneficial to feed them -- just like anything else in your tank. They'll appreciate varied diets and many foods will aid in superior color and health. Some shrimp foods have some very cool things in them: pumpkin, carrot, and lots of specific nutrients that they need.

Well, if your looking to breed and sell them/show them off, then use high grade food but for people who just want some small bottom feeders and don't need them to be that impressive/high grade, don't use specific food. I usually drop a few small pieces of carrots and cucumber now and then for the shrimp to get some nutrients but its not necessary. Algae is a main source of food and that is what shrimp usually eat so I leave them be and don't buy food. I don't think you need to feed most shrimp IMO.

Most properly balanced tanks do not have a lot of algae, though, especially to maintain an ever-growing colony. Of course many tanks can maintain shrimp with just algae and mulm but as a general statement to blanket like that I disagree.

For easily accessible foods, I use a varied diet.

Many live plants and Java moss, and Marimo moss balls for fun, but they love picking at them.

Don't over feed, they only need TINY amounts of food!

Petco had Hikari Crab Cuisine, also acceptable for shrimp, today for 3.99 per bag. The OEBT rushed over to the Crab Cuisine much faster than they do to the Shrimp Cuisine.

I have been using the Shrimp Cuisine but it is hard to find locally and very expensive. My shrimp like the Bottom feeder sinking wafers, I list below, the best.

The Hikari Bottom feeder sinking wafer for omnivores, are the favorite, they love this a lot, just give them some pieces of wafers/ package has an orange-ish label. Hikari Algae tab pieces, which they don't seem to love very much.

Also Omega One Shrimp pellets, they have lots of good things in them, BUT do not put much in at a time. I killed a little tank of snails after dropping in just a few, and it caused a big ammonia spike. The fish, snails and shrimp really like it, just be careful!

I also put in a few live brine shrimp when I get them for my other fish and also Hikari freeze dried tubiflex (soaked in tank water for a little bit, yuck, lol and brine shrimp. Would also use blood worms (if dried/soaked), but I am allergic!

Use tiny bits of veggies too but they don't seem especially fond of them. I am growing some organic veggies now for them.

Feed tiny bits so as not to pollute your water.

Also use dried Oak leaves, which I harvest in fall, from unsprayed/treated trees but am thinking of using fresh ones and letting them dry

Also I just bought Catappa leaves (aka Indian Almond leaves/Ketapang) in the hermit crab section at Petsmart (new item). They are little ones so they will fit in the little tanks well!

Also skip feeding every once in a while. It depends on what I feed mine if I skip more frequently.

I would also like to try the Repashy sometime.

I love my shrimp!lol

I'd also recommend Jake's stuff: The Planted Tank Forum

It's a little on the pricier side but they're homemade, very popular with the shrimp, and the portions will generally last you a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom