Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2003, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
betta

I have a red betta how has been fine for months but now he has a white film on his head he still acts fine but i dont know what this is someone please help me

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to mother2kamryn Send a message via MSN to mother2kamryn Send a message via Yahoo to mother2kamryn
DISEASE: FUNGAL INFECTION
GENERAL INFO: If you always add aquarium salt to your betta’s water (1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 2 1/2 Gal of water) and one drop of Aquarisol per gal, your betta will probably never get fungus. It is contagious, but bettas will more than likely recover if treated promptly.

SYMPTOMS: Betta has white cottony like patches on its body or head. He may be less active, may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped, color may be pale.

TREATMENT: Do a full jar water change. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle. These are crystals are dosage should be about 30-40 grains per 1/2 gal. Water should have a nice gold color, not too dark. Do not overmedicate! Change water every third day and add a new dose of same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared. Then keep betta jarred for another 2 weeks at least and instead of Fungus Eliminator, just add 1 drop of maroxy or of Methylene Blue in your betta’s water to clean any other bacteria/fungus that may still be present. Adding salt to the water would also help healing.

This is what I found. Betta's are strong little buggers so if you act quick he should be fine. I have a betta of my own. Im not an expert but I sure hope this helps some.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Good info, mother2kamryn!
I would use Jungle Fungus Eliminator too. I've used it successfully on my betta. To treat him, I put him in a gallon size critter keeper (to avoid medicating the tank and hurting the good bacteria). I also put him in the critter keeper so he can get a water change before treatment. I use 1/4 teaspoon of Jungle Fungus Eliminator per 1 gallon. Take some of the water from the tank or treatment-hospital tank, put the 1/4 teaspoon of medicine in, stir with a plastic spoon, and pour into the tank.

Some things I would like to point out:There's a lot of controversy with the use of aquarium salt in freshwater fish. I used to use 1/4 teaspoon per 1 gallon. I've started to use less. I use about 1/8 tsp now, and I may reduce the amount further, gradually. Do a search here to see more posts regarding freshwater salt, or use google. Some say that putting salt in FW will not cure disease, and others swear by it.

Aquarisol is ok for a short period of time if you use it to control ich. But it is not recommended to use every week, at water changing time, as a preventative. It contains copper, which is deadly to snails, and other inverts. One med. that I have, BettaMax, says do not use if copper is present in the water. So I would not start the habit of using Aquarisol as a preventative. Copper, used frequently over time, like a drop per gallon once a week, is actually detrimental to fish. It accumulates in their brain/nervous system (I think). It can shorten their life span. By how much--no one really knows. But we want to keep our fish around as long as possible! So I would not use Aquarisol as a preventative.

Jester, I hope your betta gets better! I would try the Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I have also used Maroxy successfully on my betta. Use 1 or 2 drops of Maroxy per gallon. But if you can get the Jungle product, I would use that first. Good luck!

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com