Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed. They tend to easily find entertainment for themselves. Get him some plants or a cute tank ornament for him to play in. Those are the best tankmates.

Was wondering what fish you could put with a betta my betta seem lonely

It's not that the betta is lonely, it's that the human has some instinctual desire to put other species into a tank that contains a single fish.

Betta's like room to stretch and the vast majority of them do not do well with tank-mates.

Just toss plants in and a few decorations with no sharp edges and your betta will be very happy.

I know but what kind of fish can i put with them that they wont get aggresive tword

I don't think there's any guarantee with any fish you put with a betta. However, that being said if you absolutely must I would make it something the betta can't catch like zebra danios.

The thing with zebra danios and betta's tho is the difference in tank size that they need, I'm assuming that the fella who has the betta has him in a sub 20 gallon tank, maybe a 10 gallon? where zebra danios need 30 gallon plus because of how free swimming and active they are

OK. There are a few options for tankmates in a tank that size if your betta is community-safe. :)
Before we get to that though, do you have a back-up plan in case your betta doesn't like tankmates? Do you have any other spare tanks sitting around that you could use if you need to?

OK. In that case, a couple of options to look into are chili rasboras, ember tetras, and neons. A 10g tank with a decent filter and a good water change schedule should be able to easily support a school of 6 small fish (like the ones I suggested) and a betta. A lot of the commonly seen schooling fish are too not suited for a 10g tank because of their size or activity level, but I suggest you look into the ones I listed and see what you think.

If your going to add anything, make sure you have these:
a hide for the betta ( or a place it could hide), for when It wants to get away
proper heater and filter that work with the betta and other fish

I also suggest no fish that are really bright in colours ( because the betta my mistake it for another, and try to kill it) and fin nippers, like barbs.

Fish that would work good, that I have paired with then are 5 zebra dainos, you dont want less then or more then 5, because of the active level, And kuhli louchs, about 5-7 they burrow, and are nocturnal.

Zebra danios are not candidates for a 10g tank due to their activity level. I don't personally believe kuhlis are either.

absolutangel04 said:
Zebra danios are not candidates for a 10g tank due to their activity level. I don't personally believe kuhlis are either.

+1 on that.

I wouldn't put kuhlis in anything under 15, but I'd personally say 20gal is minimum.

kuhli louchs, about 5-7 they burrow, and are nocturnal.

Kuhlis, especially a decent sized school of 5 or more, require a heck of a lot more room than a 10 gallon can offer. Plus, contrary to popular belief, they are not nocturnal. They only hide during the day if not kept in a proper school. Mine are out all the time.

Back
Top Bottom