Betta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Thanks :) he is in the breeder now... Sitting on the bottom. If he keeps ignoring the guppies for a few days I might just let him into the main tank. He doesn't seem to be doing that well though. Just laying on the bottom... Hopefully that changes but I think he might be on his way out :( here's a pic.

Attachments

• image-1192935821.jpg
    image-1192935821.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2622288938.jpg
    image-2622288938.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 49
I want to give you one more piece of advice, and I hope someone else steps in here actually. Maybe salting the tank would help? I am hoping someone else will chime in but
heat and salt help in many cases. Having said that, our friend armymp327 suggested I euthanize my molly when she was lethargic like this and she did end up dying. Hoping he'll come around but it may be a tough go...
Good night.

I hope he gets better. I have a female betta in my 55 gal community tank and she seems to love it. Of course, I got her when she was a baby and have lots of places for her to hide if she wants to. Good luck with your little guy!

Attachments

• 2013-04-17 18.53.07.jpg
    2013-04-17 18.53.07.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 47
betta

hey from fl I think you maybe could go get a couple pieces of canvas used for for needle point or rug canvas and prop that up and hang it up top with a couple paper clips till you can get a real divider maybe cost a dollar or so if you need more than a couple to cover the area just heat a little with lighter but don't burn it just lightly melt and wait till it cools and loses the plastic smell

Thanks for all the advice guys. This morning he is a bit more active, he still isn't eating much if at all, and hasn't flared at the guppies.

a friend got a betta, put him in a bowl just as you did and just like yours he just laid there. I convinced him to get a 10g with heater for his betta, it took several days but the betta came around and is just fine.

He is the same after being in there almost 24 hours... Think I should just let him into the main tank and see how he does?

You could try. You'd have to really keep an eye over the next few days, though. I think I'd be tempted to...

Well he's not flaring at all... So I think I might... Might even be that the guppies peck at him a bit if he's not doing so hot... I hope not though. Well, I think I'm gonna try it... Wish me luck!

I feel like a proud betta parent! :D he is doing so well with the other fish! He actually came within less than an inch of one of my male guppies, and didn't pay him any mind. He is waaaay more active now. He swims slowly around the whole tank like he's doing laps :) thanks so much again for your help! I never thought I'd have success with a male betta in a community tank! I will continue to watch for any signs of aggressive/territorial behavior and/or fin nipping with any of the fish. But for now, all seems to be going well!
Ps. Forgot to mention his name's Finnegan :) his brother (in a bigger bowl with a plant) is Gilbert

Attachments

• image-528023342.jpg
    image-528023342.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image-3265983968.jpg
    image-3265983968.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image-4292162688.jpg
    image-4292162688.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1889317970.jpg
    image-1889317970.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3347476576.jpg
    image-3347476576.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 46
Yay! That's great! Just keep an eye on them all.
You're putting him into an already established tank and guppy community when he's actually not at his best and this *may* work out to your advantage. He won't feel the need to defend his territory as vigorously right off, I woudn't think, as he'll actually be working on establishing things and figuring the tank out. He'll likely become boss man in there quickly and you may have to think ahead a bit here, but I think, as far as his health at this point, it sounds like a good decision. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Yep. I'll keep an eye on them for sure. Here's a pic of the whole tank. Just added a backdrop :)

Attachments

• image-4221903987.jpg
    image-4221903987.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 40
*sigh* looks like I spoke too soon :( he started going after the other fish. Gave it a few minutes and it just got worse. Oh well. Back in the box little buddy :(

Back
Top Bottom