Betta and ADF ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all

I have a 3 gallon eclipse tank and have my betta happily swimming in it. The tank has a large clump of java moss lying around too.

I would like to add a ADF , if possible in the tank. The question is 2 fold : one do ADF and male betta get along? and two, will this crowd the tank ?

Please advice
Thanks in advance

I don't see it being a over crowding problem. The betta though may not like a tank mate. This is one of those try it and see situations.

Yeah, my betta would not put up with any other living thing in his tank so be sure to watch very close if you decide to add the ADF.

Personally, I have 4 ADF's and I wouldn't put any other fish in with them especially a Betta. Betta's love bloodworms and ADF's have a very hard time finding their food so you will have to hand feed the ADF with a turkey baster or pipette in order that he gets the food he requires before the Betta gets to it.

my betta would nip at my adf's toes at first...then he just started attacking him. Ive tried putting him in a few times to see if the coupling would work out, but it doesnt. I wouldnt recommend the frog and betta together.

If you would like a tankmate for Nigel, have you considered a ghost shrimp? I've asked about a ghost shrimp with a betta before. The opinion seems to be 50-50 if the betta will eat the ghost shrimp or not. Some say the betta eats the ghost shrimp, and some say the betta ignores it. If you put a tankmate in with a betta, it really does seem to depend on the betta -- will he tolerate a tankmate or not. The java moss could give the ghost shrimp a place to hide too. I may try a ghost shrimp with my bettas -- when I go back to the hatchery, I'll see if they have any. I'll try to get one big enough that it doesn't look like a meal!

We added several ghost shrimp to our 10-gallon tank three days ago. The smallest one was eaten before the end of day one. A second disappeared before the start of day two. The female Betta and her ADF sidekick spent yesterday stalking and chasing the remaining six. Hopefully, today will be less stressful for the newest tenants.

Back
Top Bottom