Betta and guppy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought a new 30 litre tank (10 gallons ) on Wednesday and the shop guy said to keep it running for two days till I put in fish for the cycle that I did got the fish today (Friday) 7 guppys and 4 Cory catfish the first problem is that my albino Cory is Alot less active than the others as in he's not moving the second problem is I put my betta in there and he was quite aggressive but it seems to have died down

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start at the very beginning, shall we? You were given really bad advice by the shop guy.

If you do not understand how a tank cycles, please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Your tank is overstocked and poorly stocked. Unless they are pygmy corys, 4 corys are going to be too much for 10 gallons.

The betta will not get along with the guppies, because of the flowing fins. I personally believe bettas should be in a species only tank, as they quite often do not get along with tankmates.

I would suggest you take the corys back and either the guppies or betta back.

Pick up an API master kit (liquid) so that you can test your readings during the cycling phase and after. Very important while cycling. You need to know the numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, so that you'll be aware of just how toxic the levels are for your fish.

Thanks for the reply my betta I've had go 4 months now but he has left every 1alone now he's more interested in his cave :) the Cory's are all dwarfs that's my albino in the pic and my tank isnt green or dirty that's just my room colour

Attachments

• image-2828081982.jpg
    image-2828081982.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 70
Again, what are your readings?

Believe it or not, your readings play a crucial role in the health of your fish. Knowing your readings is the best way for us to help you.

I take my water directly from the faucet using a python water changer. I am able to adjust the temp that way, so that my new water is always within a degree of the existing water.

I don't tend to leave my water sit but I do use part warm water so it's not really cold (my cold tap is cold!) my fish love the adding of new water and keep swimming through it!! But maybe I have crazy fish

Must I let the water sit for a while so its temp doesn't shock the fish?

Generally, it's ok to match the water temp by how they feel to your finger. If the incoming water feels cold, then add a little warm water to the container of incoming water. If the incoming water feels too warm, then add a little cold water.

Avoid big temperature differences as they can shock, stress and even kill fish.

But matching temperature by how it feels on your finger is generally ok, and it's what most long time fish keepers do.

Back
Top Bottom