Betta being territorial over the corys' food/stealing it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
I set up a 10 gallon tank and planned to stock it with a shoal of cories and a male betta fish. The cories went in first, and were the only ones in the tank for about a week. I then added the Betta.
Things went perfectly well, the Betta acted interested in the cories but that was it. The betta became very happy and comfortable in his new environment, a huge upgrade from his little cup. He is very very active and a fun fish to watch.

The tank has lots of great hiding places and there was absolutely no aggression from the betta towards the cories for a long time. However, it seems as though lately the Betta has been feeling that he is the king of the castle and wants to boss everyone around.

I feed the cories sinking pellets and the betta fish bloodworms or betta pellets. The problem is, the betta is not satisfied with his own food and wants to steal the corys' food! I feed the betta his food at the surface to distract him while I drop in the sinking pellets. But, as soon as the Betta is fed he notices the food at the bottom and wants it all to himself. It's too much for him to eat but he still feels that nobody else should have it. Whenever the corys' go over to eat it the betta flares and chases them away. The corys' are very fast and good at hiding, so no one gets hurt, but it is very difficult for them to get enough food without being chased away.

So, today I resorted to putting the betta in a breeding trap in the tank. It's a clear rectangle with slits in it that floats in the tank. I put the betta in there and fed him there while the corys' were able to enjoy their food without being chased away. The betta doesn't really want to be confined to the smaller space, he has become accustomed to roaming free and remains very active in the small trap. I don't want to have to net the betta and put him in there every time I feed.

Is there anything I can do to stop the betta from trying to eat the corys' food? When it is not feeding time there is absolutely no aggression. The betta used to be very peaceful until he discovered that the sinking pellets were yummy too. I also tried putting pellets in all different areas of the tank, but the betta just ends up patrolling the whole place and moving back and forth between pellets. he guards them like their his babies or something haha.

Bottom line, I love the cories and feel bad that they are being bossed around and will separate the two completely if that needs to be done, but I wanted to see if I had any other options first. Opinions would be appreciated! :)

Try feeding the corys late at night when the room has been completely dark for a few hours and the beta is "asleep". I notice my fish tend to have some vision impairment after being asleep. The corys should still be able to find the food though.

Try feeding the corys late at night when the room has been completely dark for a few hours and the beta is "asleep". I notice my fish tend to have some vision impairment after being asleep. The corys should still be able to find the food though.

Sound advice

+1 was just about to say this!

I keep Bettas with cories as well, and I've learned the best way to feed is give the betta food during the day, and feed the cories about an hour after lights out. Cories are more active at night and the Bettas during the day so it works out perfectly

+1 was just about to say this!

I keep Bettas with cories as well, and I've learned the best way to feed is give the betta food during the day, and feed the cories about an hour after lights out. Cories are more active at night and the Bettas during the day so it works out perfectly

Oh wow, that's a perfect idea! I hadn't even thought of that. Makes so much sense. It should definitely work because the Betta likes to sleep in a corner behind a plant, probably won't even notice the food.
Thanks guys! I'm so happy that the solution could be this simple and I won't have to separate them :)
:thanks: (y)

Oh wow, that's a perfect idea! I hadn't even thought of that. Makes so much sense. It should definitely work because the Betta likes to sleep in a corner behind a plant, probably won't even notice the food. Thanks guys! I'm so happy that the solution could be this simple and I won't have to separate them :) :thanks: (y)

I'm glad we could help!
You sound like me back when I first encountered this issue lol - I was so worried and hadn't thought of this idea either till a friend who had a bit more experience with housing them together gave me the idea, and it's been a great arrangement ever since.

Back
Top Bottom