betta compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
could i keep a male betta with 3x 5.5cm kuhlis, 2x bolivian rams (1x 4cm, 1x 5cm) and one 3cm peppered cory? i no that the personallity of fish can vary greatly, but even with a semi aggresive one, could he be kept with these fish?
Its because i really, really like this black betta i saw in a book, its really magnificant!
any advice will be greatly appreciated
Justin

Male Betta's aka Chineese fighting fish are known to be agressive toward males of their own species.

Usually in a tank with other fish they are rather docile. I have heard they should not be kept in tanks with fish that are classic fin nippers. I do not know enough about the rams to know if they are fin nippers or not.

Not too sure about SA Cichlids I'm not sure if Rams are agressive we keep Mbuna
So depending on the Cichlids and their personality you may have a conflict?
Bettas will go after anything with flowing fins
and if its a really aggressive Betta and there is signifigent damage to his new tank mates go out and get a 1 gallon hex like the one in the FW/general discusion with the snails.
thats what our male betta is in.
plus Bettas are labyrinth fish so they don't need oxygen put into the tank you could even get a nice fishbowl for him.

So there are lots of cheap back up ideas you can do with bettas if he doesn't work out in your set up.
Its pretty cruel but some people put Bettas in wine glasses I don't agree with that but they can survive in them.

Good luck.
Chris

I know our Convicts do we have two in our Cichlid tank but they mostly try to stay in thier own space in the tank we got them from a lfs sta had them in way too small of a tank and got them they are really cool guys actually. and only get rough when they have to put up the defence.
Chris

They are reported to be peaceful so they should be OK
Yeh, my bovs seem really laid back and dont take any notice of the other fish.
It has been 3 days but my kuhlis have finally decided to eat!
I was wondering more of how the siamese fighter would react to my current fish. My male bov has small extensions on his fins, and they both have high fins, would this atrract the fighter to munch them?
thanx :arrow:

Put him in and see what he does, thats what I would do, just keep a good eye on the community and if he starts beating anyone up take him out right away.
seen some Bettas get on fine and others not so well.

Chris.

Siamese fighters are only reported to get aggressive towards another siamese male. I know of many poeple that have them in theri comm tanks with out any issue. As Chris says, throw him in and see what happens, you could always remove him if need be.

All the siamese fighters i have seen have all been really aggresive, including females.
But i will try it when i get the time to go into the lfs which really isn't even very local :roll:

Well The females you can put in together they fight like the males but not as lethal they will beat on each other but not nearly as bad.

you want to be careful what you do put them in with if there are other fish with big flowing fins simular to the bettas he might mistake them for another betta and pick on them.
if you do get one and need to take him out put him in a jar till you get a good fish bowl etc.

Live and learn is the key there.
Chris.

Back
Top Bottom