Betta freaking out??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moon1029

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just added a betta to my community tank (6 tetras, Otto, nerite snail mystery snail, ramshorn and 8 red cherry shrimp). The betta is "fluffing" out for no apparent reason..... It's not going at any of the snails (which I would expect it to "fluff" at). Is it maybe seeing its reflection and freaking out???? It's only been in about 45 minutes but I'm not sure if it is just getting acclimated or if it will calm down?

Im not betta expert but what I've read that a very large percentage of male bettas wont be okay in a community tank, females are a different story though. He only fluffs up to his reflection?

male bettas flare when they see another betta,or when they see their own reflection.Or he could be stressed out in the knew environment,especially when fish nip him.What type of tetra are they?Silvertip tetras are aggresive.I don't know about your other fish.

i just added a betta to my community tank (6 tetras, Otto, nerite snail mystery snail, ramshorn and 8 red cherry shrimp). The betta is "fluffing" out for no apparent reason..... It's not going at any of the snails (which I would expect it to "fluff" at). Is it maybe seeing its reflection and freaking out???? It's only been in about 45 minutes but I'm not sure if it is just getting acclimated or if it will calm down?

bettas are very territorial, i imagine he is flaring at the other fish, and is stressed out by his new surroundings, get him a tank for him self so he can be alone, they prefer solitude

He may or may not stop flaring. He hasn't been in there long, some can take a few days to chill out & others never do. Make sure the tetras aren't nipping or bullying him. If you think he's too stressed take him out.

Male bettas are fine in a community tank. I have one in my 15g column. Bettas will flare if they see their reflection. Nothing to worry about unless he stresses himself to the point his fin began to tear

Male bettas are fine in a community tank. I have one in my 15g column. Bettas will flare if they see their reflection. Nothing to worry about unless he stresses himself to the point his fin began to tear

that really depends on the betta, some can, and come simply can not

that really depends on the betta, some can, and come simply can not

Haven't had one that couldn't yet. Maybe true. Bettas are programmed in the sense of "hey let's try to fight anything that looks like me". Or they are just a holes the other fish lol. I have kept two males in the same tank peacefully before. Jasper and rye was their names. Dident try to fight each other at all. I had 3 females in a tank peacefully as well. Iv also bred them. Cool stuff to watch

It has been reported that water below 76F, strong current and high phosphates can affect betta behavior to make them look like they are acting territorial.

Besides what everybody else said, check theses things as well.

I was using that as a how they act. Not that they literally THINK that.

I have a female betta in my 55 gal community tank and she only goes after one fish. It is a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami. I think it's because that's the one fish in there with the most color. She gets along with everyone else though.

I have a female betta in my 55 gal community tank and she only goes after one fish. It is a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami. I think it's because that's the one fish in there with the most color. She gets along with everyone else though.

If I'm correct I believe gouramis are close cousins of the betta. Could be why.

Thank you so much for all of the great suggestions and help! I will be watching him closely! The other fish are leaving him alone and he's not going after anything surprisingly!

I would remove one of them if u could. The Betta because she can be in a smaller tank compared to the gourami. 55 is a good size tho. If its just random attacks and nothing harmful then I'd just leave them. If its frequent then the stress on the gourami can cause his fins to rip leading to poor health

I would remove one of them if u could. The Betta because she can be in a smaller tank compared to the gourami.

I will move betta back to her 5 gal if she gets bad. She doesn't pick on the gourami anymore than my other fish pick on each other. They've been together for a month now and no damage has been done. They have lots of plants and caves to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom