Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2003, 12:16 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey An t-iasg, what should I do about the UGF that came with my 2 gal hex? Just diconnect it and do frequent water changes?

Old 08-11-2003, 02:24 AM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

UGF in a small tank

Hi...I would just disconnect the UGF. Well, you could do some ammonia testing, and if the ammonia isn't high (refer to test kit chart) leave it in place, but I bet if you took it out and looked at it there would be all sorts of scum on it and it probably just isn't helping anything.

I have a small sponge filter in my betta tank but I think it might be too big for a 2 gal. You could look in the store and see what other sponge filters are out there and if one would fit. Mine is a Jungle Jr. Dirt Magnet. I really don't know if there are smaller ones but you could ask. The sponge filter provides some biological filtration and makes some bubbles for aeration. You could see if you could find a small airstone and a pump, to provide some bubbles for air & oxygen, but again, you'll have to see what is small enough for a 2 gallon. My air pump is a Tetratec 12, and that's the smallest one by Tetra. Whisper may have some small pump models too. I've seen those 2 gal. hex tanks in the store but not really in operation. Did a small pump come with it, or did it just plug right into the wall?

But all this may be overkill for a 2 gallon hex. Frequent water changes may be your best bet. I don't think you need to do it every day, though. When I had my bettas in 1 gallon bowls, I changed about 80% of the water (just left enough water for them to be covered!) every 4 or 5 days. I did use an ammonia test kit to check their bowl water, and I determined that every 4 to 5 days it would get high enough to do a water change.

I kept my bettas in 1 gallon bowls for nearly a year before I set up this 5 1/2 heated and filtered tank for them. So they can do well in small bowls; just make sure you monitor their water conditions and keep on top of the water changes.

To change the water when they were in bowls, I made new water by putting tap water in a gallon jug, let it come to room temp, added Nov-Aqua and Am-quel (10 drops each per gallon), and 1/4 teaspoon of aquarium salt (adding some salt may help to prevent ich), removed the old water, and put the new water in. It took maybe 15 minutes to do 2 bowls, so it isn't really inconvenient at all to do frequent water changes. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2003, 08:02 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get a small bubble filter with suction cups to attach to the side of the tank at WalMart. It costs around 15 dollars for the pump and tubes and 1 cartridge in canada. I used to use it in a 1 gallon and it always kept the water nice and clear. I actually ran it also in a 5 gallon (turned up) for awhile as the Betta lives there by himself.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:03 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
I've had one of those filters before, they work well.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

2-gallon hex

Hi Sesos,
I was just at the pet store today, and I saw a 2 gal hex tank. The one I saw came with a little pump. If yours did too, you could buy one of the little suction cup filters to run with it. I saw 2 brands -- Penn Plax and Lee's. The Lee's had carbon, floss, and a sponge. That might be a good one. I don't know how much biological fitration this little filter would actually have, so you should still plan to test your water and do frequent changes. But it might be nice for the betta to have a little bit of bubbles for some oxygenation, but don't turn up the pump so high that the water is moving. I have a gang valve on my tank for that reason -- so the pump that my sponge filter is hooked up to just makes bubbles and not waves!
Old 08-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks An t-iasg, I'll check out your recommended options at my local PetCo tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back for all you wanna-be betta owners that have been tuned into this thread.

Tags
2 gallon, betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com