Betta in vase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at a eye glass place and they have a male betta in a small vase with water to equal about maybe 6 cups. There is a large plant in it I assume to help with oxygen. It can't swim around and just hangs at the bottom or moves a little. But he is making bubbles nest at the top. I want to rescue it and told them they need more space and these seem cruel. Any one have advise on this .

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Show them the new betta vases, where betta's have their own spaces and the vase is between them

OK that sounds like a good plan that does it in a nice way.

Bring them printed out info info on how cruel it is, and tell them that as a consumer and paying customer you are very saddened (the word I would use is disgusted as I'm not dealing with a friend or family but a business that should be responsible) to see animal cruelty in their offices, tell them it's like seeding a human trapped in. Box and that's really sad.. A lot of people just don't know and need to be informed.. I saw on Pinterest a lot of people put pictures of Bettas in empty wine bottles and when people explained how cruel that was they were receptive and said they wouldn't do this.. It's important to tell people.. If not someone else will see it and do it and so on.,

@dkmuller- If you are going to inform them that a betta in a vase is not okay, I would suggest pointing them to resources. As the post above me said, it would be best to bring printed information. I also suggest pointing them to bettafish.com, as it is an excellent resource. Many betta owners who go there receive helpful advice. Hope this helps with your decision. ^_^

I work at a fish store, and have talked many people out of the itty bitty bowls. I have a betta at home in a 5 gal, and I always describe how my betta does his "war dances", follows me around and generally displays his personality....they need room to do that! I tell them they would not be very interesting to watch if they lived in a closet-sized space either. It seems to help if you use lots of hand gestures, pantomiming, and generally getting into the spirit...people get pumped :D

I haven't saved them all....but I have a pretty good track record. I agree with the above posters; give them good information, and emphasize the positives of providing good care....unfortunately, many people react to what benefits THEM and not the fish, but the fish gets a better life anyways :)

I think the hardest thing is the fact that a majority of pet stores do not tell people that betas need room to move around. The good ones do, but a lot don't. And without the right information, people think they're doing the right thing. I've walked into a pet shop before where they were keeping betta in tiny plastic cups where their bodies were bent to let them fit it into it, and there was an inch think layer of a gunk of the top of the cup. And when people see betta like that in the pet stores, they probably think a vase is an upgrade for the poor things. As a lot of other people said, you could always give them the right information on it. Do you have a good pet shop in your area; one that you trust and that you know gives out the right information? You could also direct them towards that pet shop, because they're more likely to listen to someone who works in the industry.

I think I will print out information as well as pictures of proper containers. Good websites help . So wish me luck on my journey of my first rescue to have this betta to be happy and healthy.:)

If you can, please update on the response :) I'm curious to know how they took the info! Thanks :)

Ok

Back
Top Bottom