Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bass2013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My sisters betta had turned grey and died. It is kept in a .5 gallon tank with some plants and rocks, we use betta water conditioner. My mom said the betta stopped eating and just turned grey. My betta is in the same thing and he's doing just fine nothing wrong with him. I was just wondering why this happened

What size tank is your betta in? Bettas should really not be kept in anything less than a filtered 5 gallon tank. Some people have made it work in a filtered 2.5, but most definitely no smaller than that.

bud29 said:
What size tank is your betta in? Bettas should really not be kept in anything less than a filtered 5 gallon tank. Some people have made it work in a filtered 2.5, but most definitely no smaller than that.

Yes. Please consider moving your betta to a tanks. A minimum is 2-3 gallons but the larger the tank the easier to maintain and the heavier your fish will be. Plastic plants are also normally considered bad for betta as these fish are very delicate and can get scratched easily on plastic plants. Go with silk or live. Live is recommended as it will keep your water chemistry better. A filter and heater is also important as cold water makes a betta prone to disease. Even with a filter, regular water changes are a must.

.5 gallon or 2.27 litres - that's not right, borderline cruelty - just cause a fish shop sells it, does not mean its right. I wouldn't put a Betta in anything less than 5 gallons, you just know to look at a fish in that size a container that it's not right. Shouldn't be allowed, and shame on anyone buying a tank or jar that size to keep a fish in.

Borderlesscott said:
.5 gallon or 2.27 litres - that's not right, borderline cruelty - just cause a fish shop sells it, does not mean its right. I wouldn't put a Betta in anything less than 5 gallons, you just know to look at a fish in that size a container that it's not right. Shouldn't be allowed, and shame on anyone buying a tank or jar that size to keep a fish in.

Whoa dude calm down, not everyone on AA knows what they're doing. That's why this was created in the first place. Not everyone "just knows" about fish, they just don't have the experience. It's cruel yes but patience is key on helping people on fish keeping. You honestly can't say you haven't made a few mistakes yourself.

Quoted from the AA rules:
"Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, name calling, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable."

Not to be bashing people for basing others but you can't blame people for doing it if they don't know any better. And with the way pet chains sell their bettas I think there's plenty of people who wouldn't kno any better if it was for places like this where we could politely inform people of their missgivings and to help them become better fish keepers. It is harsh to reprimand individuals for a society's mistakes.

Quoted from the AA rules:
"Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, name calling, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable."

Well, that's my point of view on the subject and if anything I think I was very restrained on the subject.

Sounds like ammonia poisoning due to tank being too small. You don't mention a filter or heater? Bettas need warm water and all fish need a filter. Invest in a 5g tank (i know loads of people who use those little kritter keepers that are like $10 or something?) get a heater and a filter. Cycle the tank and you'll notice a huge improvement!

Yeah we just have the Berta's sitting in a tank on her isle table. I mean I've had bettas like this before. And they lived a few years. I mostly go over and take care of my Betta since I know how to. And I normally do full water change. Putting in room temp+ water in it. With water conditioner. I feed him one medium to large flake just so there isn't extra flakes so make the tank look bad, or add ammonia. And he eats all of it and i usually don't have to watch him after. I change the water once a week at least maybe 2 times depending on the water condition. I would love to get a 2.5 for my Betta with a small filter. But it's just not going to happen with me just getting my 10. And it's cycling. I don't want to put him in there. For the reason he can get harmed by the ammonia I am adding because it is a fish less cycle.

Yeah we just have the Berta's sitting in a tank on her isle table. I mean I've had bettas like this before. And they lived a few years. I mostly go over and take care of my Betta since I know how to. And I normally do full water change. Putting in room temp+ water in it. With water conditioner. I feed him one medium to large flake just so there isn't extra flakes so make the tank look bad, or add ammonia. And he eats all of it and i usually don't have to watch him after. I change the water once a week at least maybe 2 times depending on the water condition. I would love to get a 2.5 for my Betta with a small filter. But it's just not going to happen with me just getting my 10. And it's cycling. I don't want to put him in there. For the reason he can get harmed by the ammonia I am adding because it is a fish less cycle.

Once a week in a tiny little tank like that isn't enough. Are you going to move him into the 10 afterwards? I'm leaning towards saying if you can't give him the minimum requirements then you should rehome him. He deserves better.

I say at least get him a 2.5 gallon with a small filter. I put my betas in a divided 5 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom