Betta Size Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am really confused when I read the different terms used for betta size?

I am assuming a commonly available betta a Petco would equate to a small.

What are giant and super supposed to mean?

Can someone break it down to the medium, large and XL?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just a guess it may be the size of the fins? I've seen betas that have fins that are like 2x bigger than the betta itself

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not so sure it's the fins. I have seen adds for 4" Betta's (not including the fins)!

Betta Size Terminology

Great Question:

And you are correct size is generally not judged by fins. It is typically body length.

That being said,

There are a lot of variations of terms used by different pet stores and breeders to disseminate various sizes/colors and genetic traits of betta.
Keeping up or understanding them all can be tough as different breeders and pet stores seem to have different names for the same type fish. :eek:

To make matters worse sometimes breeders misuse the terms (yes, I have seen it). When labeling a betta with larger fins they may say "Monster" or "Super" when it is in fact a normal sized betta with larger fins. Other fin terms include "Hawk" or "Apache", "Rosetail", "Grizzled", "Double-ray", "Over Half-moon" etc. Those can all be used to describe different fin types on a variety of betta species. But traditionally these don't refer to actually body size. "Giant" and "monster" bettas are actually bred for their larger size and very hard to come by.

Understanding the different genetic types of betta is important when looking at size.
Betta species are documented well in these videos if you want to see most of them:

For betta size my understanding is they typically go:

Normal->Monster->Giant (or King @ Petco)

Most pet stores confuse "monsters" as "giants" all the time and label them as "King". Typically my Petco's only carry "King"-size betta in the plakat or "fighter" variety.

"Normal" sized bettas can vary between 1"-2" inch bodies (all these measurements are without fins) as adults with 2" being large.

"Monsters" are slightly larger (and here is where seller discretion becomes hazy) with a 2&1/2"-3&1/2" inch adult body length range.

"Giant" are by far the largest with reported adult body sizes of 3"-4&1/2" inches long.

What can make things tough is not knowing betta's age.

An older, full-grown, normal betta could pass as a young "monster". While a "monster" who is full grown can pass for a young "giant".

The best way to know what you have for sure is to buy from a breeder who can tell you the age. If your betta is only a few months old and measuring 2&1/2"-3&1/2" inches...its more than likely is a young "giant"

Hopefully you are not fully confused... :huh:

:fish2:

Thanks!

I have never noticed the larger ones at Petco. But I could have missed it and will now be on the look out.

Your welcome

I have an edit to my above statement as my betta guru (whom I consulted with) corrected me. I am wrong on the sizes as the term "Monster" should only dictate fin-span and not body size. I was apparently backwards on that (apologies) so I wanted to correct it.

Betta size (updated):

Normal: 1"-2" (2" for large adult)

and

Giant: 2&1/2"-4&1/2" (honestly anything over 4" is rare but some have reported 4&1/2")

Finding anything in "giant" sized that is not a plakat is rare and typically expensive. If you see a half moon or doubletail who is "king" or "giant"-sized...(or in crown, spade, delta or veil variety) buy it!

Sorry for the confusion!

:fish2:

Attachments

• halfmoon king 1.jpg
    halfmoon king 1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 486
  • img_2116.jpg
    img_2116.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 404
  • 11934675_1468952513434477_159194094_n.jpg
    11934675_1468952513434477_159194094_n.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 546