Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tqy

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm planning to have a 15 or 30 gallon tank with a betta in it I was planning for tankmates like neon tetras.So I came up with a combo: 6 neon tetras,1 male betta,2-3 ghost shrimps. Please tell me if it would be ok to have a tank like this. And I do not know much about owning a tank so could you guys tell me the fundamentals and basics?

I don't know too much myself but I hear that male and female betas don't get along well in the same tank. So becareful about that. I have a female beta and she is very mellow. I find that frogs make great tank mates for betas and so do guppies and catfish.

i would drop the tetras and add about 4-6 shrimps and 1 or 2 African dwarf frogs

Here are a list of articles you can read about setting up and cycling a tank... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html. You need to read as much as you can about starting a tank and especially cycling it and getting an API Master Test Kit to do cycling properly.

Betta's can often be kept in community tanks BUT it solely depends on the individual temperament of the Betta you purchase. I have one Betta who has it's own 6g planted tank as it kills everything put in with it. I have one Betta in a 12g community with 11 neons and 5 Endler males. In my 220g 100% planted tank I have 3 male Betta's. So you really aren't going to know if it will work or not, that will be determined by the Betta you buy.

I have mine with cories and neons. All depends on individual betta personality. Mine is more curious than aggressive.

another thing to note, depending on the betta, shrimps can sometimes become snack food.

Is it possible to test the Betta's aggressiveness in any way?

on the shrimp side, you could get a cheap-o small ghost shrimp and see what happens...

Is there any way to solve the aggressiveness cause it kill the shrimp before I could save the shrimp

I went the opposite route with ghost shrimp myself. My betta killed rcs with glee so I got the biggest ghost shrimp I could find and he leaves them alone.

But to answer your question, no there's not much you can do to fix any aggressiveness.

I'm sure your combination has a high chance of success :)
(chance of failure really depends on your betta's attitude,some are more aggressive than others)
I've been obsessed with bettas and IME they are not really that aggressive.
Only to those that resembles or irritates them.

I've had bettas with cory's and shrimps and had another with danios and tetras.
And IMO, you could even add more fish :)
(just no more male bettas, or other uncompatible fish)
Or you could try a betta sorority :)

that 30 gallon would be a total paradise for the betta, and with that tank size I can say you are understocked :)

with the 15 gallon though, I think you can add another tetra or shrimp. But, it really depends on your filter,decorations,hiding places, or plants.

Oh, and try adding the betta last. I've read somewhere that it somehow lessens aggression since the betta wouldn't be claiming a territory with the presence of another fish that got there first (unless your acquired betta is a total bully.hehe!)
Well, it worked for me :)

All in all, i think you're good to go after you cycle the tank :)
(CYCLING = VERY IMPORTANT)

Back
Top Bottom