Bettas and houseplants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a betta an I'm wondering if I can put spider plant, pothos, or spathyfilium(sp*) cuttings on the top of the water. I saw somewhere they like the roots in the water.

no, please don't they don't. Bettas are carnivores and don't like roots, it's a myth. They also need to reach the surface to breathe.

Spath should be fine as long as too much of itsn't in the water. I grow it as a houseplant and always keep the roots wet. It seems to do fine that way. Pothos should be fine too though. I have grown cuttings in jars of water before and its always worked out well. I have only been growing my spath this way for about 3 months. Its doing great so far though.

Hmmmm... AquaKai presents a valid point. I thought you meant the plants like the roots in the water.
OK, to revise what I said, if there is still sufficient room for the betta to get to the surface, then those plants are ok.
What kind of tank do you have?

Scouser said:
Is that a partially filled planted tank (or habitat)?

If so one of my LFS has one and it's awesome lol :)

Google my friend! Lol
It's where you grow plants in planter cups it's like a vavarium (????) but has more space for the fish to swim. I half started one a few months back but needed the tank for other things.

Technically vivariums include terrariums, ripariums, aquariums, etc.

Ripariums are so neat! I have been working on one for months.... have had a lot of ideas that were way too difficult to execute. So, I've ended up getting to the point of scraping everything down and starting over again. haha

I would definitely encourage you to try it. DIY habitats can be a ton of fun.

I have definitely clipped plant cuttings to the side of the tank! The plants love the extra nutrients and the fish don't mind. I have no idea if any plants are considered toxic to bettas, but I didn't have any problems... I had some jade plants rooting until they were big enough to put in a pot. That sort if thing. I also have some dwarf papyrus growing in the tank that will get tall enough to come out above the surface.

Back
Top Bottom