Bio Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spewns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, This is bizarre but I have been wondering if adding sourdough starter to my tank, in a small amout, would help get the bacteria going needed for the bio filtration. I seem to recall reading somewhere that someone used yeast to do this.
I'm not sure this Stress-Zyme is doing anything and I've heard it is practically useless. Any ideas? I really hate to just experiment....I'd feel like some kind of Nazi. lol

P.S. To any Nazi that may read this; sorry i was kidding.(end of politically correct addendum)

I am no F/W guru, but I do not believe that will help. Yeast (which should be what the bread starter is) is used to make DIY CO2 reactors (lots of them blow up), therefore I would be concerned with unwanted algae growth as well as depletion of oxygen. I have heard of adding yeast to a septic to keep the bacteria population up, so maybe there is something to it. (how is that for a non commital answer :roll: ) I would say the best way to jump start the cycle, would be to get some gravel from an established tank and add it to your tank. I agree, the stress zyme is not doing anything for your tank.

Yes, very non commital,lol. I dont know anyone that has an aquarium but myself and the gal that is going to unload some fish on me later this month. I will see if she has some gravel (with my luck it'll be pink) but i have to wait till she calls me. i dont know her number or where she lives. Thanks for the info. ~Lisa~

WEll you only need the gravel for a few weeks.

So if its really BOLD then just toss it after a few weeks.

Put it in a bowl or something and jsut put it in the tank. The bactera should spred from the extablished gravel to the new gravel quickly.

Back
Top Bottom