Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2003, 08:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Tankgirl, your input is exactly why I posted. After reading the info on this product I couldn't understand why after a year there didn't appear to be much of a mention of it on this site. I guess there hasn't been a real push on it for the general market.

I agree with you 100% that beginners should at least have an understanding of the nitrification process but in the same way don't think it right to use fish to cycle a tank when the understanding is so limited and the death of fish is inevitable. I am new to the hobby and pay soooo much attention to my fish during the cycle but feel terrible that I didn't know much about the whole fish keeping bit until after the LFS encouraged me to buy what I did. I am doing my upmost to keep them not only alive but happy and healthy.

In the 5th week of the cycle and have learnt a lot but would like to make my tank friendly for my fish. Having read your review on the product supports my way of thinking and I appreciate the time and effort you put into answering

A big thank you to Tankgirl

Louise
(it's all about the fish right?)

Old 06-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Your way is totally the right way, and when you have established tanks it is a pretty simple thing. However, keep it in mind (it can be mail-ordered from some suppliers) if you find yourself with a tank that "crashed" and you have sensitive fish that you don't want to risk them suffering through a short cycle, or if you suddenly need a quarrantine or hospital tank in a hurry. (Man, those folks oughta pay me!)

Old 08-12-2003, 06:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bio-spira

. . . simply, it works!

29 gal new setup, added bio-spira, 6 tetras. . . end of story!

If you are worried about spending the $10 for the product to guarantee instant cycling. . . then what can I say???

One last thing. . . when you purchase a filter for you tank, make sure it is rated at least twice the size of your tank. This will be a boon in the months ahead
Old 08-12-2003, 09:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

No it's true you can't overdoese this product. Think about it, this product will give you the bioload of your tank overnight (actully a couple hours but you have to get the tank to temp). The more you add the stronger your bio load can be. 8O but then you have to worry about room in the tank for fish.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've used Bio Spira to start 4 different tanks with excellent results. I've tried it in tanks that've already begun cycling-- and it quickly brought the nitrites down and the tank finished cycling in a matter of days.

I suppose the reason I push this stuff so hard is because I'm too pragmatic for my own good. 99% of new fish keepers buy an aquarium system on impulse. The tank goes home and is filled with water. Two hours later they're back at the shop buying a tankful of "pretty fish". These folks don't want to understand the nitrogen cycle or hear about adding a fish or two a week. They want instant gratification. My philosophy is if they can add the Bio-Spira along with the fish, there'll be a few less dead fish in the world. We only see the 1% of newbies that WANT to do things right on internet fish forums and forget about all the others. I fully agree that individuals keeping animals have an obligation to know how to properly care for said animals. But this is the real world and it doesn't happen that way.....

As far as the overdosing theory goes, glmclell: the bacteria self-regulates itself according to the bio load in each tank. If all the bacteria isn't needed (ie- small enough bio load), the unnecessary bio bugs die off and become part of the bio load for the bacteria that are active in the system.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #16

How long can Biospira survive in my fridge? It's unopened and was kept on ice the whole way home and immediately transferred to the refridgerator. I ran into a little tank stand problem and am not quite ready to start the cycle. I know the lfs uses the cute little fridge from marineland. Is it "special" in any way? Does it have an exact temp setting or something? Will my fridge at home be sufficient to keep this stuff alive?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:09 PM   #17

Not sure of shelf life, may be marked on package.

Will be fine in your fridge. . . do not freeze.

Also, probably would have been OK on your trip home from the LFS without ice, unless of course the trip was going to be a long one

My LFS is 15 or 20 minutes away, I probably did not add the package to the tank for 40 minutes (no refrigeration during that time). Worked great!

Expect your tank to get cloudy. . . do not use any other chemicals. Try to refrain from any water chages in new tanks for one month!!!

I added 6 one inch tetras 15 minutes after dosing with package in 29 gallon tank. Don't overdue it with adding the fish, but you will need to add the fish to keep the whole cycle going.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:31 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I was told that this stuff was kind of like milk - you want to get it in the fridge as soon as you can, but it is not going to curdle if it is not kept constantly cold, and even sitting out a few hours is not going to hurt it.

I'm with Voodoo on the impulse aspect to this hobby. I find myself "needing" a new tank and I do not want to wait. Also, I found myself in need for a quarrantine tank immediately when mine got a tiny tap from a 2-yr-old with a heavy object (don't ask!) and crrraaacck.... so rush out and get a new tank, pop in the Bio-Spira with the fish, voila.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #19
MP5

Send a message via AIM to MP5
It looks great, buit how often would you use it? Once, maybe twice a year? I can just wait instead of spending my money.

I don't think you trust,
In, my, self righteous suicide,
I, cry, when angels deserve to die, Die,
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once or twice a year? LOL you don't suffer from MTS like some of us! I've gone from 1 tank to 5 since May LOL

Tis worth it to me as well. Moved my guys from a 25g to a 55g and didn't have ANY problems with the cycle. Added Bio-Spira and the mature bio-wheel and the tank was good to go. Instantly. Yay!

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com