BIO-Spira product feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am absolutely in favor of waiting and doing it the old-fashioned way when possible. It is much cheaper (my husband absolutely cannot believe how much Bio-Spira costs) and it is cool to follow the process along, plus you feel like you really accomplished something when your cycle is complete. Nothin' like that feeling ('cept fry :wink: )

I have gone from one to four tanks since January, and am searching the classifieds for my next tank, as I have more ideas. I like using the Bio-Spira for emergencies (see above) but it is not something I HAVE to have for a new tank setup. I think at that price it is perfect for once or twice a year! Thank goodness things like water conditioner are cheap...

Allivymar said:
Once or twice a year? LOL you don't suffer from MTS like some of us! I've gone from 1 tank to 5 since May LOL

Tis worth it to me as well. Moved my guys from a 25g to a 55g and didn't have ANY problems with the cycle. Added Bio-Spira and the mature bio-wheel and the tank was good to go. Instantly. Yay!
LMAO Well, in my first year I had bought a whole bunch of tanks (6), then last year I bought one and the next I bought one and thats where Im at now

I've had two occasions when a tank broke/cracked, if bio-spira had been around it would have made life a lot easier.

Having time to cycle a tank is cool, but how many fish will you kill or just as bad or worse. . . what disease will you have to treat?

Knowing that it is available (and it would not be a bad idea to check with what LFS has it) would be a smart proactive move. What you don't need today. . . well, you get the idea. :D

I paid 11.99 for Bio Spira.

And let me tell you, it was a waste of my money. Unless I just can't do anything right, because it gave me more problems then it was worth. 24 hours to cycle is a lie on my end. My Ites are still pretty high. This is the 4th day of introducing biospira into my tank.

Today when I get home from class I am going to do a huge water change, and if that doesn't help, then I don't know what to do. Other than throwing the tank out the window.

Not sure what may have gone wrong. Your message left the details out.

I will tell you this. . . making water changes is not. . . not what you should be doing. I know it goes against everything you have been told. Leave the water alone for 3 to 4 weeks (you can siphon off a little water if you absolutely need to. . . to remove uneated food).

Your filter needs some kind of biological media for the bugs to grow. . . better to have more biological filtration then less.

The water will get very cloudy. . . goes away in a few days.

If this is a new tank. . . just let everything be. . . don't even use your test kit(s), it will just make you crazy.

Hope things work out for you :)

Now this is assuming that the bio-s was fresh and had been properly refrigerated. . . that you added the amount needed (I do not believe you can over dose, but you can under-dose).

"If this is a new tank. . . just let everything be. . . don't even use your test kit(s), it will just make you crazy."

I was given this advice at a fish shop and I did not know how to take it. I kept testing my water at least every other day on a new tank and did small water changes as needed. Monitoring the water and doing water changes to keep the Ammonia and Nitrites in line just seems like a better idea for keeping the fish healthy thourgh the process. If no water changes are done, I do not think the fish would have an enjoyable time as they would be stuck in a huge ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike...

Geri, I am certin your ammonia readings are comming from some EXTERNAL source.

Do not give up because I know the answer is some where to be foudn we just need to pinpoint this some more.

Not doing water changes is NOT the answer. With your ammonia readings non of the fish should be alive after 48hours. The truth is your ammonia readings are being skewed by something.

I had that happen once with Bio-Spira and I got another batch! (I think my LFS let this batch sit out too long, or someone returned it for a refund unopened, and it had been left out) I know it costs a lot but it was for a small tank so the 1 ounce did the trick. The second dose solved the problems, almost within an hour or two. If you decide not to re-dose it then definitely do the water changes and at the very least your cycle is well on its way. Sorry you had that trouble, but those results are not typical. I am still totally sold on it.

TankGirl said:
I am still totally sold on it.
Me too!
15 gallon hospital tank with 1 south american cichlid
-10pm: ammonia tested 6
-Added Biospira
-Went to Sleep
-Woke up
-7am: ammonia tested 0

Add me to the believer list. :D

Added three platies, two neon dwarf gouramis and two upside down catfish to my Eclipse System 12 last week. Ammonia got up to about .25ppm after four days and never got any higher. Yesterday was day 8 and my ammonia dropped to zero, with a trace of nitrites and nitrates (slight but noticable color changes on both).

I tried to fishless cycle but after two and a half weeks, I still had no nitrites to be found so I gave up and started over.

Just bought a new 30 gallon tank and I'll be adding Bio Spira when I get my fish.

By the way, the price I was quoted was $8 for the 1 ounce packet (treats 30 gallons) or $17 for the 3 ounce package. I went ahead and bought the 3 ounce and the rest is sitting in my fridge waiting for my next tank to be started.

My LFS charges $11.99 US for the 1-ounce, and $19.99 for the 3-ounce! I'd say you got a good deal.

Just a FYI:

Biozyme is NOT a true nitrifying bacterial starter. It contains heterotrophic bacteria, which only eat nitrogenous waste IF there is no other waste available. Bio-Spira is the only product on the market with the correct bacteria. Even Hagan's cycle does not contain the right stuff (there have been recent studies and new discoveries on what the correct bacteria are).

Absolutely right, Allivymar. I do think some people have experienced a more rapid cycle when using these products off the shelf, but it is truly hit or miss. For the most part it is a waste of money, and cannot be compared to Bio-Spira, which is the only one with the correct bacteria (these bacteria are PATENTED by Marineland, so there is nothing like it on the market).

Yep. Like Tankgirl said, Marineland are the only folks with the right stuff. Marineland did some major research and came up with some interesting findings, such as nitrobacter is NOT the main nitrifying bacteria despite common belief.

If you want to read up, the research is here: http://www.marineland.com/science/nspira.asp

don't put all your eggs in the patent basket

a lot of products have been patented for solving any number of problems yet they still don't work.

a patent is not some sort of government certification, it is merely a registration of am original design or idea.

I do like this product because of a patent! I was only indicating that the patent makes the product unique, so one can differentiate it from the other products on the shelf that claim to cycle a tank, in response to the post about Biozyme. The patent means that for right now there are no "knock-offs."

by nature, i'm skepticis Humanus Billius.

Here's my take on the bio-spira product from marineland.

I have a massive :D 10 gallon african cichlid tank. Had tank up and running with new filter. I installed the bio-sponge but not the floss or carbon. Adjusted the water parameters and set temperature.

Once tank was up for a couple days and stable I added 3 small kenyi. Fed them once a day. Monitored Ammonia levels. Once I got a detectable level (.5 - 1.0 ppm) I dumped in a full ounce of bio-spira.

Next day, 0 ammonia, but my nitrites were up to .25 ppm.

Next day, 0 nitrites.

Started small water changes, 1 gallon per 5 days. Feeding twice a day but still no floss or carbon in yet.

Kenyi will not be kept in tank, just better than feedergoldfish IMHO, no offense to any feeder goldfish fans.

Everyone has their own voodoo about tank cycling. I'm included on the list.

Would the tank have cycled that fast without bio-spira, absolutely not.

But its not the speed, its the health of the fish.

The fish are active, healthy and not showing signs of stress. They are voracious eaters and are showing signs of 'getting it on' after eating or a water change.

I find this pretty remarkable and definately worth the price of $10 from the LFS and a quick trip home to the fridge.

Well hello....I know a few names I've seen on this thread;

I thought I might poke in here to make a few comments on the general use of Bio-spira.

One of the biggest concerns I have is folks understanding the difference
between what Bio-Spira was "intended" to do versus what many are using
it for!!

Specifically, Many are trying to "judge" Bio-Spira by simply "how
fast it reduces an existing high level of ammonia and/or nitrites"!!
Let me re-emphasize that Bio-spira is meant to add to a new
tank with NO AMMONIA or NITRITES along with a full load of
fish. The bacteria added will keep any ammonia/nitrites from
developing to any significant amount!

To expect it to act as a ammonia or nitrite REMOVER; can be
done and as you've all seen will take varying times to do it.....
depending on how high the toxic levels were, how much Bio-Spira
was added...and what the current bio-load (fish) is!

As far as Bio-Spira viability in shipping goes.... most cases go
very well ...including many reorders. Especially if you get it in
two/three days like is normal to most zipcodes.
I thought I saw an interesting comment by Tankgirl that Bio-spira
viability when shipping can be compared to "milk"!!
I like that ..... good comparison (thanks Tankgirl!!) I will use
that comparison in future refences! :lol: :lol:

I think so far I've had to re-ship twice and cancel one (in Oklahoma)
due to extreme heat. Obviously cooler weather and cooler climates
will make this process much easier.

By the way.... I get my shipments direct from Marineland in Moorpark
Calif.... (in two days) packed the same way I pack it! I usually get
a new supply every other week.

Many LFS's didn't buy into the program because they didn't believe
the program and the cost of a large amount of stock to "buy in" (refrig
was free and supplied by Marineland).

I know when Voodoo Chile, myself and Dino discussed the project
we were very hesitant at first...... but it worked out!!!

Just thought I'd add some info here!!

See ya all later.

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom