Algae bloom won't go away - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LHARTWICK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I made the mistake of over cleaning my tank back in May, and I can NOT get rid of this algae bloom. I didn't realize I was over cleaning it at the time, but after some research, lesson learned. I cleaned all of the plants and the filter media at once. I now know not to do all of that at once. It also caused the tank to cycle again, according to my test results, but my tests seem to be reading fine now. I've tried a black out - no good. I had the Green Killing Machine in the tank for about 2 weeks - cleared it up fine. I took it out, per the instructions on their website, but the green came back almost immediately. I've been doing weekly 25% water changes. It's clear for about a day, and then green again. Should I resort to using a chemical solution such as Algone?? What am I doing wrong??? Would some live plants help?? I love this hobby too much to give up, but I am SO frustrated! Some have advised adding live plants - others say live plants will only make algae worse. My nitrates are reading 0.0 ppm, which apparently is odd so I'm told - and yes, I shook bottle #2 VERY well to make sure I was doing it correctly (apparently this bottle tends to have solids form in the bottom of it). Shouldn't I have a few nitrates? The blackout was only for 3 days so should I try one for longer? Do I feed during this time? Some say to remove all filter media except carbon - others say leave it in there. I did a 30% PWC last night. Water in canister filter was very green just like tank of course with lots of small algae pieces in there. These are algae pieces that I've been finding in my tank and filter for months - ever since I removed the fake plants and cleaned them. That's what started all of this. Although I am finding fewer pieces each week with my water changes. I also placed the green killing machine back in the tank last night for now. I did remove the Purigen and Phospure though - left carbon in there. I'm just getting/reading so much conflicting information on other message boards that I have no idea where to go with this!

Here's my set up:

72 Gallon Bowfront, no live plants - all artificial
API Filstar XP Canister Filter (175 gallons)
2 heaters
Aquatic Life Edge LED Light
Two bubble wands
Filter media: bio stars; all of the sponges that came with it; Purigen; PhosGuard; Phospure; Carbon
Ammonia - 0.0 ppm
Nitrate - 0.0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.0 ppm
Ph - 7.6 (has always been high, but I don't try to adjust it)
Phosphate - 0.25-0.5
Temp - 78
Water treatments: Seachem Prime; Algaefix; TopFin Bacterial Supplement
Fish - 1 gold gourami; 4 silver tips tetras; 4 red eye tetras; 4 red serpae tetras; I would LOVE to increase my community, but I want to get my tank back on track first.

Algae blooms are one of the most reported complaints in the forum. The common denominator is usually an imbalance in the water chemistry, that fuels a super fast growing algae bloom. I've experienced several algae blooms in my tanks over the past few decades. Don't panic or get frustrated. Just get into your once a week WC routine and your once a month canister filter maintenence. Stop using any of the water altering chemicals except for "Prime". You might consider tossing out the charcoal and replacing it with other media, bio stars or foam sponges. I don't use charcoal in any of my filters. You might also consider adding another filter, maybe a smaller canister or a HOB. That way you can alternate filter cleanings, keeping one filters BB fully charged. When you clean your only power filter, it puts a temporary dent in your BB, which might be a contributing factor to the algae problem. Using chemical treatments to kill algae is a temporary solution, which often results in a big algae bloom rebound. I've never noticed algae blooms having any adverse effects on my fish. The longest algae bloom I ever had was approx. Three weeks. Hang in there.

I do already have sponges in the filter - the 2 that came with it in the bottom tray and a couple of others in the top tray. My carbon is in the middle tray along with a lot of bio stars and Biohome media. My canister is rated for 175 gallons. When I clean my filter, all I do is remove the sponges, gently rinse them in the tank water that is still in the canister, then pour out the water from the canister since it is still green. I then place everything back in the canister, hook it back up to the tank to fill. I do NOT rinse anything in tap water, and I don't even touch the bio stars or Biohome media. I've only had one other algae bloom, and I was able to remedy that one with a blackout. I guess all I can do right now is continue my weekly PWCs, leave the UV sterilizer in for a while, and go from there. Thanks to everyone for any help!

You don't need to remove uv sterilizer. Mine in on 24/7 and no Algae bloom or cloudy water since I installed uv sterlizer

I have the Green Killing Machine which really works! I was just going by the information on their website that says to remove it from the tank once the water is clear because the UV lamp inside is only good for maybe 6-9 months when used continually. I guess spending a few dollars every 6-9 months to replace the bulb wouldn't be horrible. It sure does clear up the water and fast. I will also continue with my weekly water changes.

I have the Green Killing Machine which really works! I was just going by the information on their website that says to remove it from the tank once the water is clear because the UV lamp inside is only good for maybe 6-9 months when used continually. I guess spending a few dollars every 6-9 months to replace the bulb wouldn't be horrible. It sure does clear up the water and fast. I will also continue with my weekly water changes.
Yes life of bulb is six months if use continuesly but really its worth the money. Always crystal clear water u will have. For me uv sterilizer is the most important accessory in hobby. It solved many of my tank problems.

That UV sterilizer really does work! I've been amazed at how quickly, too. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom