Bio-Wheel questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CiRXSi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, with all the talks lately, I have been convinced to lose the UGF in my 55G. I've already got a HOB supplementing currently, but I want to make use of my Magnum 350 cannister. So I'm getting the Marineland Bio-wheel 60 attachment to work off my cannister. I've never used a Bio-wheel before, and I know that rinsing them off, of course, is an issue. Do they get dirty to the point where you want to rinse them off? Or do they stay fairly clean? I know about using changed tank water to rinse. Also, this unit has 2 wheels. If one did get "too gross" or slowed down current, I could always alternate which one I rinsed. Those of you who know more, and have had these awhile, please share what you do.

I've had a biowheel running continuously on my Q-tank for about 5 months.
It does get pretty funky-looking, but I have been advised not to touch it unless the wheel stops moving altogether. I've only wiped off the bearing because the wheel stopped moving intermittently - something that I later found out is normal and quite common.

You are right that the two wheel model offers the advantage of allowing you to rinse off one wheel at a time.

I've never rinsed any of my biowheels. I've one which is close to a year old and works great. The only thing I've done (and not on that one btw; I've only had to do this with the wheel on my Penguin 125) is cleaned off the ends that go into the bearings as they can get a little gunked up. I don't think it is recommended to ever rinse the actual wheel actually.

Back
Top Bottom