Black Ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jawch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys!! New here hoping to get some great information from some smart people, I have a 50 gallon tank that is basically centered around my black ghost knife, it is still young measuring about 2-3 inch's, I am really looking for some cichlids that will do well with him, I have a inca stone fish and several small thomasi cichlids in there currently but want some others to help fill the tank. Feel free to send me suggestions thanks

I keep my BGK with angels and yellow cons, have never seen them interact at all. The BGK spends most of the day sitting in an amazon sword plants. He does come out every now and then to root around for food, but he has done well tankmate-wise.

Hi. Most cichlids live in harder water than the BGK so finding some to co-exist with your BGK could be difficult. I have a BGK and he used to be housed with discus although they got on well and lived happily together I decided to move him into my oddball tank. He now lives with 2 spotted climbing perch, a reed fish, fire eel, driftwood catfish and a broken lined royal pleco. He is 12" in size and is by far the best fish I have ever kept.

Have a look on some websites find out what your BGK fish likes in the way of water parameters and try matching other fish to those of the BGK. Remember the BGK won't like any fish that are to quick to feed or that are aggressive in any way. You might already know but just encase you will need a bigger tank eventually as the BGK will out grow a 55g tank.

I hope you find some ideal tank mates for your BGK they truly are an incredible fish I can watch mine for hours.

Thanks :) I used to have a BGK and he was my favorite fish ever. They are amazing fish, anyhow I have been looking into fish that come from similar waters and south American cichlids seem to be the closest bet, brazil, Portugal, ect. Can't wait to get him settled into his environment. Keep the input coming guys

Jawch said:
Hey guys!! New here hoping to get some great information from some smart people, I have a 50 gallon tank that is basically centered around my black ghost knife, it is still young measuring about 2-3 inch's, I am really looking for some cichlids that will do well with him, I have a inca stone fish and several small thomasi cichlids in there currently but want some others to help fill the tank. Feel free to send me suggestions thanks

Just avoid small fish such as tetra and cories as you will find them without eyes -.-

Barbs are apparently way too aggressive to be kept with a small ghost knife as well

Jawch said:
Thanks :) I used to have a BGK and he was my favorite fish ever. They are amazing fish, anyhow I have been looking into fish that come from similar waters and south American cichlids seem to be the closest bet, brazil, Portugal, ect. Can't wait to get him settled into his environment. Keep the input coming guys

Do you Paraguay? Portugal is in Europe.

I'm thinking about getting a BGK! What do they eat? Would it be ok in my tank? I have a 150 gallon tank with
1 Peacock Eel
5 Silver Dollars
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Sailfin Pleco
And I would like to add the BGK if it is compatible with the current fish I have. Would they get along?

vanimal said:
I'm thinking about getting a BGK! What do they eat? Would it be ok in my tank? I have a 150 gallon tank with
1 Peacock Eel
5 Silver Dollars
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Sailfin Pleco
And I would like to add the BGK if it is compatible with the current fish I have. Would they get along?

I feed mine bloodworms and brine shrimp (Hand feeding BGK is easy and awesome!)

That stock 'should' be fine. I would make sure you have enough hidey holes for each of the BGK, Sailfin and Rainbow however.

I have a log and a cave but ill add another because my catfish lives in the cave and the rainbow claimed the log as his. Lol will it be fine in a 150 for life?

Back
Top Bottom