Black Ghost Knife Fish tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishilover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to keep a Black Ghost Knife Fish in a 40g tank with no ther fish in it?

Personally, I wouldn't keep a BGK in anything less than a 50. They can get well over a foot long.

P.S. Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! :wave:

Those things look so cool. I've seen a few in the pet store, and they look so rad. They are also expensive. About $20 CAD.

They are very beautiful fish. When I get my 75 or 100 gallon I definitly want one!

I want one, but haven't got the kind of money to throw around on big tanks. I also read somewhere that it's a good idea to keep a peice of driftwood with some hollow parts in the tank, and watch if other fish go in there, because the BGK can get aggressave towards them if they go into their space.

I haven't done too much research on them but I don't think they see well... I think they use some kind of sonar or wave to "see"

They actually transmit a weak electric current that allows them to navigate and to find prey. They can grow to 18 inches or so, but that is rare. Once they overcome their initial shyness they can be very friendly fish. Eat out of your hand Etc.

one of the LFS around here has one a little over a foot long in a tank when you first enter the store. It's an amazing fish. They also have a foot long plecostomus and a large oscar as well. Theres about 2-3 more fish in it as well, but I'm not sure what they were.

mrcrazypants05 said:
one of the LFS around here has one a little over a foot long in a tank when you first enter the store. It's an amazing fish. They also have a foot long plecostomus and a large oscar as well. Theres about 2-3 more fish in it as well, but I'm not sure what they were.

Im guessing a Jack Dempsey and or a Green Terror..

Back
Top Bottom