Black Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've searched and havn't been able to find info on it..

So I need to know, what types of algae will Black Mystery's eat?

Mystery snails will eat just about anything that you commonly see in tanks, but I think they stay away from the much more aggressive nastier algae like the stringy black hair algae and that sort. Also not so sure about brown algae that sometimes clings to the walls of tanks.. but they might... but they will mostly munch on the typical green stuff :)

I may be completely wrong though.. its been a while since I've had snails I hope soemone tells me otherwise :)

Nothing seems to eat that nasty brown algae... Not even the indomitable pleco. I just scrape it off if I get it.

There's some brown algae in my 29 gallon, apparently the main algae there. The three Black Mystery snails make short work of it except on some of the plants that don't really provide a smooth surface for them to climb,

You don't realize how funny it is watching a snail climb some of these plants.

I once had my baby apple snail acctually climbed onto the surface of the water in my little tank, he got all the way to the middle of the water then the surface tension of the water holing him up broke and he fell.
It was interesting to say the least.

William said:
The person I'm thinking about a cure for has it in his gravel and such..

au contrare! (sp)

when i brought home my Hillstream Loach I didnt even expect him to eat algae but thats exactly what hes eating. Ive seen his little mouth marks on the brown algae on my glass, and on green algae too.

he eats the algae faster than my snails do. :0

I have brown algae and I just got a couple of mystery snails (I'm pretty sure they are, anyway) earlier. I put them in about half an hour ago and one of them is already going to work on some of the algae. The other is hiding at the base of a plant. I'm sure he'll come around though. :)

Back
Top Bottom